1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gordon Ramsay: Shark Bait

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon468, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Well...one day, D can catch and cook a fish for me [​IMG]

2. anon468

anon468 New commenter

It'll be the best fish you've ever tasted! Nowt like fresh, line caught wild fish.
    The season starts again in a couple of weeks, but I don't think they're allowed to actually take a fish until May.
    By the way, he's given up on the Norway idea (requires a group of them to club together and go at the same time, because of boat hire, accommodation etc. - too much arseache). Now he's looking at a few days on the Tay by way of compensation.
    You do NOT want to know prices. It would fair raise your blood pressure! [​IMG]

3. Och, can we not get a few together and you an me go too - and do something more interesting than fishing?
    Like...errrrrrrrrm, sunbathing and maybe making the odd cup of tea?

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Are you possibly suggesting that there are more interesting things to do other than fishing???!
    [​IMG]
    I love your optimism. Sunbathing... in Tayside... [​IMG]

5. Well...I was thinking sort of along the lines of a spray tan and a spa day and then some coffee and cake?

6. Oh and yes...you can tell D, I spent two weeks in Denmark, apparently on the best fishing water available, stuck worms and other yukky things on hooks, and then went to another lake (summat about running water and non-running water) and did fly fishing, then went to the Caribbean and did high sea fishing and have NEVER CAUGHT A BLEDDY FISH IN MY LIFE.
    I was the one who ended up doing the gutting and cooking.
    Pah!

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Spray tan - check.
    Spa day - check.
    Cake - check.
    So far, all eminently more enjoyable than fishing!!
    I refuse to do the gutting and cooking. Yak! Fortunately, the man does it way better than me, so I just leave him to it.

8. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I've never, ever eaten foie gras. Partly because it's not something you usually see on sale outside of posh city delis, but mostly for ethical reasons.
    I was given a jar by way of a Christmas hamper a few years ago and gave it away rather than eat it.
    I would be interested in trying the ethical stuff, but I suspect it'll be like trying to find hens' teeth in this neck of the woods.

10. Me neither.
    Even as a kid, the thought of force fed geese disgusted me (I don't know how I knew that as a kid, but somehow I always did).
    Anyway, we were not posh enough to have foie gras and by the time I was old enough to buy it myself, I was even more determined not to eat it.
    I have NEVER seen ethical foie gras in Germany (but I also live in the sticks).

11. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I'll try Valvona & Crolla when I'm next up in Edinburgh.

12. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

If you holiday in the South of France you'd find it readilly available and affordable if you have a fair income. I've had it on a number of occasions in various forms before I became aware of how it is farmed. Foire gras is unctuous, there's no other description, and it's easy to see how with such a prized food, reaches the stage where profit over animal husbandry becomes the major influence.
    As Dan Barber demonstrates, there are humane ways to farm geese for foire gras. How much you can produce to make an impact on the market is probably the biggest question.
    It's like chicken. A year ago Tesco etc were flogging chickens at £2.50 each if you bought two, it's risen to £7.00 a pair more recently. Think about this, Tesco probably buy the chickens at half that price so how long can you afford to keep a bird before you're not making a profit?
    The average lifespan of the oven-ready bird they were telling me 15 years ago was 32 days. In Germany, it was 28 days. Pump them full of s.hit so they grow, it doesn't matter if their slow-growing bones relative to the growth of flesh they put on can't support the bodies. So we lose some weak ones along the way, who cares?
    Pork, pound for pound is currently the cheapest meat sold. How come? Is it really so much less expensive to produce a pig than a lamb or cow? How are they doing it?

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

An excellent post. I think maybe Tesco cheapo chickens are indeed, less ethically produced than foie gras!
    Also we are so hypocritical in not producing veal in the uk......barn and grass reared that is.....so we send our calves to Europe to be reared in crates! Nonsense! Makes me so angry!

14. http://www.msc.org/
    THE website to use to find sustainable fish in supermarkets. Sainsburys; is pretty good (Youngs frozen stuff tends to be MSC approved). Even their value fishfingers are approved. You will pay much more for tuna (around £1.50 a tin) but so worth it. Please never buy farmed salmon - I stopped the day I went on a boat trip along Scottish coast and asked why all the salmon were jumping 'it's to stop the itching of the lice'. Bleurgh.

15. Pigs are not always kept in great conditions - they are often in tiny little "cages" with no room to move. They can't even turn or move forwards or backwards.
    Not a lot different to battery hens. Real factory farming.
    That is why you can get pork so cheaply.

16. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

But even higher welfare, free range pork is reasonably priced. The European pork we get in supermarkets here ridiculously cheap is simply not worth eating, from a taste or welfare perspective. Pallid, pumped full of water and miserable in every sense.

17. Originally the stacks of cages for piglets were housed in a sort of park home/caravan thing and called 'Piggy Banks' - I can still smell them today, utterly revolting!
    One piglet stacked above four or five others, standing on the wire of the cage, no bedding, no room to move, fed on powdered milk feed, then, just as they grow to fill the cage, they should be just about at weight so they get a bit of moving room for a few days (to firm them up, they tended to totter on poorly delveloped hocks) and get rid of the smell) and off to the slaughterhouse!
    That is how the industry was going when I turned 10 years old - I used to happily fatten up the runts on a pig farm, but the newly installed banks were an horrific eye opener! I have never eaten pork that was not free range since!
    I also choose pork shoulder as you can tell if it is not free range just by looking at it - that and it is by far the best cut for a roast (and crackling).

18. I remember a few years ago us being invited to friends for dinner and they gave us pork chops.
    Great, thought my kids.
    Then they saw the tiny, shrivelled piece of chop on their plate and son piped up "if you are going to eat a pig, at least make sure it was a happy one".
    He was a tender 7 at the time.
    We have never been invited back, strangely.
    Have I indoctrinated my kids about what to eat? [​IMG] (their Dad is the same though - that is one thing I still admire about him - he will not buy c.rap food).

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

We live in an area with a lot out outdoor reared pigs. I will not buy, nor allow OH to buy, pork that is not British AND outdoor reared. Same goes for bacon. HAS to be British! I will not allow Dutch or Danish pork products in the house.
    I respect the animals we eat. I have no problem eating meat but am concerned over the method it is reared and the method it is slaughtered.
    I cannot guarantee everything I buy and eat is ethically reared and compassionately slaughtered, but I do my best.
    One thing I did learn on my degree course was that the transport to, handling within and method of slaughter has a huge impact on the quality of the resulting meat. I also remember our lecturer in poultry production referring to chickens as 'product' and the slaughterhouse as a 'factory'......good way to distance himself from the fact he was actually talking about living creatures!

20. Do you mean because of standards or because of air/ship mileage?
    I tend to go for German meat...unless I know where the meat has come from (I can check via the code, being in the biz and knowing how to check).
    I absolutely refuse to buy meat from Eastern Europe.