1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gordon Ramsay: Shark Bait

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon468, Jan 16, 2011.

1. anon468

anon468 New commenter

There are times when I am utterly, utterly ashamed to be a member of the human race.
    This is one of them.
    All in the name of a poxy bowl of soup (okay, so it's MONEY really).
    We will kill this planet.

2. It's horrific. I hope this week's programmes will educate people about why we need to buy sustainable fish. It's not hard to find, look for the blue MSC tick.

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Gordon Ramsay has just gone up in my estimation 100%.

5. I couldn't watch it all, I felt sick. 70 MILLION sharks per year. The numbers are unimaginable

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I live on the East Coast, quite a few fishermen and ex-fisherman here. My brother has been out with them on occassion.I thought I knew a bit about the lamentable fishing practices forced upon the fishermen...
    These programmes have opened my eyes. Especially the farmed scampi one.
    I've signed the petition.

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

He is certainly aware of ethical foie gras - and was seen to use it in the F-Word. (Along with Janet Street Porter who had done a piece on how it is produced.)

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Ah, I missed that Beth. Thanks.

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Ramsay is well aware of the ethics of the food he prepares and does his best to source ethically produced food. He has even slaughtered his own, so is not hypocritical at all really.
    The finning truly sickened me, and the attitudes of the diners.....disgusting!
    I only ever buy free range and ethically sourced meat, fish and poultry but even I will be looking much closer from now on.

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

That's good to know, Belle. Mr Ramsay remains high in my estimation (and for once, in this programme I thought his copious swearing entirely appropriate!).
    Free range Scottish chicken roast for us tonight. Free range chicken breast stir fry last night. Costs a bloody fortune, but worth it, in every respect. I'd like to think I'm doing the right thing as a consumer, but I'll definitely be shopping even more carefully now.
    And as for those diners - I hope the b*stards get food poisoning, frankly. [​IMG]

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I see the way forward as eating less meat but better quality. We buy Donald Russell meat which is expensive, but it's worth it. We often get good cuts on special offer, so for example, a chateaubriand for £17, cooked at home gives you a luxurious meal.

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Same here!
    I think that's also the message Hugh F-W tries to get across. We're definitely eating much less meat and a lot more veg. Next step is trying to have a few meat-free days each week.
    Better for us, better for our wallets and better for the planet. [​IMG]

13. Glad to hear GR sources ethically, I wasn't aware you could get ethical foie gras, you live and learn!

14. BelleDuJour

I could be wrong there, but I'd rather eat foie gras than see shark finning! At least Ramsey is trying, as is Hugh F-W.
    I, for one, only buy free range. Not too bothered about organic as it's the welfare, not the food/drugs issue, and the taste is no different.
    In our house we also eat meat free twice a week at least (tonight's the night!) and lots of veg. It's healthier, ethically acceptable, cheaper, better for you and very tasty.
    My OH is even now considering keeping pigs for meat (we have the land and our neighbour wants to do it with him). I keep my own hens for eggs, grow fruit and veg, but not sure I could eat my own pig. We'll see.

15. BelleDuJour

Just Googled it and you can!
    Apparently it's delicous!

16. I - with a wee tear of regret - did not buy my prawn salad which I treat myself to once a week from the deli isle at my local supermarket (Friday is fish day and so I tend to take it in for lunch).
    It didn't have...the ok stamp that they were happy prawns and not some sludge prawns.
    Oh my - it is like rehab.

17. anon468

anon468 New commenter

*pats CQ on the shoulder in a comforting manner*
    You did the right thing, lass. Those skanky prawns are making people homeless in Bangladesh (Dispatches prog).

18. Obviously, I didn't see the programme but after reading your two threads, I googled. Oh my, I felt so ashamed. I thought I was so up on ethical food and stuff [​IMG]
    You should be a roving food reporter.

19. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Blame D - he's like a man on a mission when it comes to fish!
    I'm reduced to free range egg sarnies for lunch now. *gloom*

20. We have this dioxin egg scare here in Germany at the moment (meat as well, so it seems). I often buy an egg sarnie for brekkie on the way to work. The last week I was buying a cheese sarnie.
    Bloke said to me today "CQ, you can eat these eggs, they are dioxin free, we only use organic eggs. I have watched you all week and you are a ninny, you know".