1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gordon Ramsay in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, May 10, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Did anyone see this on TV last night?
    I know it's, well, cultural etc but I found it all rather disgusting (speaks the soman who is the least fussy eater I know).
    Forgive me but it did make my stomach churn to watch him eat a hard boiled duckling, from the egg where it was still developing until being plunged into boiling water.
    Nor do I want to see frogs speared alive and stuffed, or tarantulas poked from their nests before being deep fried and Gordon noshing on thier legs and abdomen, described as looking full of pus [​IMG]
    Then, just before going to bed, viewers were treated to a somewhat barbaric pole-axing of an ox.
    I really am not sure of the need for this sort of viewing.
    Yes, I eat meat but I only ever buy wild game or responsibly reared high quality meat, where the animal has had as natural a life and stressfree death as possible.
    You can argue so did the frog and the tarantula (well, life yes but death I'm not so sure) but I'm pretty sure the duckling or the ox met a very unpleasant end.

2. I didn't watch it.Dental surgery without anaesthetic would have seemed more appealing - I feel queasy just thinking about it. I agree with you Belle - there is no need for this sort of viewing.

3. BelleDuJour

Yep.
    On the plus side every time I think of stuffing my face now I'll remind myself of the tarantula full of 'pus' and the hard boiled embryo. That will soon put me off!
    Salad is now starting to look even more appealing! (but I'll check there's no spider in it first!)

4. ha ha!
    I'll try the aversion therapy - custard = pus...... oh yum!

5. BelleDuJour

Oh bless. Mr Belle has just been out and bought me lots of yummy salad and my fave....beetroot....plus lots of fresh fruit and chicken [​IMG]

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Sensationalist, voyeuristic TV of the worst kind.
    Thanks for the heads up, Belle. I didn't see it (thankfully) and will avoid future episodes. I'll stick to my two lovely, greedy Italians.

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I avoid Ramsay at all costs. I don't think he's respectful at all - he's not trying to learn about the food specific to a culture - he's wants exposure and attention.

8. BelleDuJour

I think there is more than a grain of truth there Egyptgirl.
    I found the programme uncomfortable, sensationalist viewing and with no respect shown at all for the living creatures he was eating.
    I used to enjoy 'The F Word' and I admired his campaign, with Janet Street Porter, for ethically reared veal in the UK. But is I was Mrs Ramsay I'd kick his arse from here back to Vietnam after watching that.

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

Cannot abide Mr Ramsay's programmes - hype and "look at me" viewing imho

10. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Just seen the trailer for next week's show. He really is a ***.