1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goose

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Nov 5, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

Does anyone know if Lidl/Aldi are stocking goose yet?

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

Does anyone know if Lidl/Aldi are stocking goose yet?

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Not the last time I looked.

4. From the 17th i believe. £19.99. Are they any good?

5. Sorry, that's at lidl.

6. They are in Germany, because we all eat goose on Nov. 11th.
    I don't think I could really send you one in the post though [​IMG]
    20 quid in the UK - you are kidding? That is bleddy expensive.

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

I saw one in Sainsbury's the other week - <u>REDUCED</u> to &pound;45!

8. [​IMG]
    I pay around a tenner here, if I want "happy goose", maybe 12 to 15 quid, but that would be for a blinkin huge goose!

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

We tried a Lidl's goose a few years ago...very disappointing. Dry and no real flavour.
    I would love a Riverford goose - but they are just a little out of my price-range..a 4.5 - 5.5 kg one costs &pound;78.95!
    A really good goose tastes just wonderful!

10. I have never bought one there - do they have Flugente? Because they are very dry. Sorry folks, I have no idea what you call a Flugente in English!
    I ordered a duck at the butcher's one year and having no idea about duck (as we never had it in England) I was persuaded by Mr. Metzger to buy a Flugente. Eeeeeeeeew, never again!

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

That is a shame.
    I have had several from both Lidl and Aldi - they have never been anything other than fabulous, which is why I want one again this year.

12. The Lidl goose weighs around 4kgs which seems reasonable for &pound;20 although it is frozen (I saw fresh goose for &pound;70 in Sainsbury last year)
    I'm tempted to get one now - maybe have it for Hogmanay.

13. I always buy mine at Aldi - although last year I bought at Netto and it was a lovely duck. I don't know what Netto is like in the UK.

14. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Flugente......Muscovy Duck? Some sort of wild duck anyway!
    I like duck, but get it from my butcher.

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Wild duck just needs cooking differently, since it has less fat. The same goes for wild goose. We had a wonderful wild goose one Christmas. The only drawback was that we didn't end up with jars of lovely fat.
    We did cook Barbary duck once, and it was a bit of a disappointment. It just wasn't very tasty.

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It's not just the fat, it's because they fly and use the muscles which makes the meat much tougher. Wild duck or goose is rarely good roasted, needs long slow cooking in a casserole.

17. I know. I prefer any wild meat to factory meat.
    But I don't like stringy duck or goose.

18. henriette

henriette New commenter

I bought a goos in Lidl today and the publicity material suggests they will be in Aldi from Wednesday onwards.

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I shall get one from Aldi but not for Christmas. Might keep it for a nice dinner party in the new year!
    H.....we need to meet up. Soon!

20. henriette

henriette New commenter

yes, we do.
    how are you fixed next Saturday morning?