1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gooing away on your own

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Feb 14, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Oh, no, I hate that sort of thing, sorry I should have said!

Sorry!
    But thanks for trying.

2. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Go to Charmouth and look for fossils. I find wandering along the beach there is very therapeutic.

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

is this a thread about masturbation?

4. Lardy! Where did you get that from?
    I often take myself off for a few days, it is vital to my mental well being. Mr C is even happy to pay for the B&B, me disappearing being vital to his mental well being too. I like to find a B&B by the sea where there is plenty of scope for walking and birdwatching with a town nearby for browsing and dinner. I never feel lonely and don't feel that I stand out by being on my own. Mind you,a middle aged woman is invisible! Hmmm.
    As I only have THREE DAYS LEFT of work, I will start planning the next outing. Dorset, I think. Love the sea in winter......

5. Just googled Charmouth nutella - it looks perfect!

6. The Cotswolds aren't too far lilac- very pretty, nice cafes, shops, walks etc.
    Wasn't sure who you were replying to when you said you didn't like something? Was it to the spa idea? If not, The Scarlett at Mawgan Porth, bracing walks, hots tubs on the cliff, expensive though.
    Totnes- interesting veggie food, market on Saturdays, Dartington close by for concerts, exhibitions and arthouse cinema, close to beaches?

7. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

I am thinking exactly the same thing, but based in Yorkshire. Don't want anything too pricey, just some peace and quiet for 2 nights at the most.
    Going to start the hunt tonight, B&B should be a good bet, think I have a book on them somewhere! Also might try lastminute.com, although they can be pretty useless sometimes.
    So in a complete hijack of your thread, if anyone has any ideas for Yorkshire please also share!

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Easy - hire a surfboard and go surfing. Make sure you hire a winter wetsuit as well though.

Plenty of time and thinking space in the sea at this time of the year - I know, I've tried it ;-)

9. Hire a cottage on the Isle of Lewis. Very quite, very peaceful. Nice beaches. Tiny population.

Stock up on booze though.

10. lilachardy

Spas, pampering etc. Sorry for not being clear.
    I live in Devon, so Devon and surfing doesn't really appeal ... but thanks!

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I think you need to address the reasons you want to get away first, lilachardy. I think you're wise to do so but until you can say what your'e looking for and hope to find there, any advise will be pointless.
    It'd be like telling me to watch Corrie to unwind when what I really wanted was peace and quiet, a pint and a fag.

12. Well what about my suggestion? Hire a cottage in the middle of nowhere (it doesn't have to be the Isle of Lewis, obv...)
    Take books and wine and go for long walks. Have solitary pub lunches. It's pleasant.

13. Do it lilac. It is just as coffeekid says - I find it blissful to be able to take a few days off and do whatever I feel like doing without having to answer to anyone. I walk, watch birds, read, potter around. If you are nervous try finding a B&B in a nice town; there will be plenty of things to do and see and plenty of places to eat. I love the sea in winter - no tourists but if that amount of solitude is not for you why not go to Bath - it's not too far from you ?

14. Coffeekid - if you have any suggestions for Lewis I'd be glad to hear them. Do you sail from Oban?

15. No, Ullapool. Not sure where you are, but you can also fly (not on a Sunday though)
    I hired a wee cottage from a nice woman - but I can't remember the details, it was a while ago. It was near the beach.

16. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I know you live in the South West but we went to this hotel :
    http://www.trevalsa-hotel.co.uk/hotel.php
    It is small so you would not feel lost but big enough to feel anonymous and although you probably see the sea all the time, it is next to the coastal path, has sea views and in walking distance of Mevagissy.
    Good luck with coming to a decision.

17. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

Last year when I needed to get away, I went for 2 nights to a Quaker retreat.

I'm not religious at all but there was no pressure to join in with anything,

You could have meals on your own or sit with other people, the food was fantastic (vegetarian). I had a very relaxing 2 days being looked after and just read, knitted, walked and occasionally chatted to some of the other guests in the communal sitting room,. I'm hoping to go again this year.

18. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

I want to Cornwall on my own a couple of years ago. Mainly to be there for my friends Mum who was on a Shearings holiday and a bit nervous because it was her first holiday alone since her husband had passed away. We only met up once or twice in the end. I absolutely LOVED being away alone, wandering about by myself exploring and doing exactly what I wanted to do and having nobody to please but myself!! The only hard bit was dining alone the first time but I soon got used to that. On the last night I even wandered down to the hotel bar and having an impromptu party with another woman who was there alone, a divorced guy who was on holiday with his parents and kids, and two teenage girls on their first unsupervised holiday. We made for an odd bunch but had a great night!! ;-) This Easter I am going on a HF holiday where I get well-fed, looked after in a nice hotel and taken on lovely walks each day! xxx

19. I love going away on my own and do it once a year or so (should do it more often!)
    I tend to choose somewhere fairly isolated but near to somewhere busy (in case I get cabin fever) and then spend the weekend reading, walking, pottering, painting, doing crossword puzzles, treating myself to a pub meal and just day dreaming.
    I have never once felt lonely - in fact, it is quite nice to be just with yourself now and then.
    This year, however, I am treating myself to a city break later in the year and am off to Dresden.
    Unlike MM - I don't think you need to "think about why you want to do it". Maybe it is a female thing - I don't know many men who up off on their own, I know plenty of women who do!

20. lilachardy

Thanks for all your ideas

xx