1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Google withdraws from new Glow

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MilkyBar Kid, May 11, 2012.

1. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

Just found out that Google has pulled the plug on their interest in the new Glow.
    http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6225749
    At one point they were the preferred bidder! Would like to know the real story. Was the SG miffed with Google's "Fast Track for Scotland" programme targeting the LAs to go it alone with Google Apps for Education? Did the SG move the goal posts as a response? Whatever the reason Mike Russell and the SG have now dug themselves into a deeper hole trying to replace Glow with something kids in our classes will actually consider using. It's now a complete mess and everyone knows it.
    Why not put Glow to bed for good and let each LA develop their own solution. Some LAs, e.g. East Lothian, appear to be using Google Apps for Education quite successfully without any need for Glow, why not follow their lead?
    With Google out of the picture the contract will probably go to Microsoft's 'Live@Edu' which is clearly a poorer solution when you compare Google Apps for Education & Live@Edu. Once again we are going to be foistered with another half-baked product that nobody wants or will use.

2. MilkyBar Kid

Just found out that Google has pulled the plug on their interest in the new Glow.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6225749
    At one point they were the preferred bidder! Would like to know the real story. Was the SG miffed with Google's "Fast Track for Scotland" programme targeting the LAs to go it alone with Google Apps for Education? Did the SG move the goal posts as a response? Whatever the reason Mike Russell and the SG have now dug themselves into a deeper hole trying to replace Glow with something kids in our classes will actually consider using. It's now a complete mess and everyone knows it.
    Why not put Glow to bed for good and let each LA develop their own solution. Some LAs, e.g. East Lothian, appear to be using Google Apps for Education quite successfully without any need for Glow, why not follow their lead?
    With Google out of the picture the contract will probably go to Microsoft's 'Live@Edu' which is clearly a poorer solution when you compare Google Apps for Education & Live@Edu. Once again we are going to be foistered with another half-baked product that nobody wants or will use.

3. Why can't we just use that there, um, you know, internet thingy? It's got all sorts of cool stuff, like make-yer-own websites, and email, and blogs, and groups that you can make all private and all, and even them new-fangled tweetin' and facebookin' gizmos! I think we should use that! [​IMG]

4. Okay, in a more serious vein, not: by bosses, for teachers. By teachers, for teachers.
    The democratisation of knowledge, culture, experience, critique, theory, practice.
    The internet is all about owning all of this. The internet is where we live now.
    Just one example:
    http://www.pedagoo.org/

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

*Please Miss/Sir,
    Can I respond to a post on TES?*

*That's the problem - we could do too many things and never have to ask for permission!

6. Of course. Glow is all about controlling and monitoring. Glow is Big Brother, keeping us all safe, watching us all. That's another reason I never used it. What? Paranoid? Who, me? [​IMG]

7. Really? I think you will find that as soon as you log into your PC at school, your own education authority will have done more controlling and monitoring than GLOW ever does.

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

The point being made here, I think, is that GLOW provides yet another layer of controlling and monitoring, as the top layer is deemed insufficient.

9. I disagree, It's not an extra layer - its just like any other site where you have to login, the site owners will gather loads of information about you and control what you can and cannot do whilst logged in to their particular site. GLOW systems will only monitor and control your activity within GLOW itself. On the other hand, your education authority will monitor this and all of your other activity on the Internet as well.

10. Of course they do. Which is precisely why I never use my computer at school for anything but Seemis, Glow, and bluddy old Education City.

11. I wasn't making any point about layers of controlling and monitoring, in fact. I'm quite aware that I have more privacy running naked down the high street than I do when I surf the net. I'm under no illusions about internet privacy at all, whether at home or at school.
    What I hate about Glow, besides its Model T interface, is that everything in it happens under the auspices of the bosses. It's too much Big Brother, too much in my face. It restricts my choices under the pretence of being too bluddy helpful. It's Nanny Intranet. I get put into groups that I have no interest in. I get sent all sorts of junk mail that has no relevance for me. I have to wade through pages and pages of rubbish to find one useful thing, and if I do happen to find something of use on Glow, I can never find it again anyway because who can figure out how it's organised? Besides giving me a whole heap of stuff I don't want, Glow makes it very hard for me to do anything I do want to do with ICT that would engage my class, like start a blog with them or set up a group or exchange emails with a school on the other side of the world.
    All in the name of "safety", that is, monitoring and controlling everything that teachers do and say on Glow, so that only things that get said are things that are allowed to be said. Just my experience, is all. No doubt others will leap to Glow's defence.

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

This was the point I thought I had made . . . . . .but I obviously didn't do it very well.

13. kibosh, I think we're in agreement about Glow. I was trying to clarify my own thoughts on layers of control in response to the points that Stooshie raised.[​IMG]

14. Whether that's optimism (looking forward to someone to argue with) or irony, I do like your style!

15. If you read the comments on this story, you'll see that there's a lot more to this story than meets the eye....

16. MilkyBar Kid

Yes, my thoughts exactly, Mike Russell has a lot to answer given that the preferred solution amongst the teaching community has pulled out. He'll be under considerable pressure to get Google back on board, if he fails, most of the LAs will opt for Google Apps anyway and the new Glow will be a complete waste of time as no-one will use it. We wait to see what happens ...