1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Google SketchUp

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Betamale, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Anyone using this in their lessons?
    I am trying to get myself interested in itthis weekend and some aspects look quite good.

2. I'd never heard of it until a recent thread mentioned it (the one about pre-PGCE preparation I think?) ... also planning to look at it this weekend/week.
    So nothing to add, but I'd be interested in opinions too ... and will post back if I find anything myself.

3. It was fun to play with, but I never made it to a lesson.

I have used the house/block constructor on mathsnet(?) which is great for kids with a 3D imagination.

4. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Agree pipipi - one of those things I keep meaning to explore in more detail - but never quite get round to. ThisTeacher Guide ( http://www.3dvinci.net/teacherguide/Teacher_Guide.htm looks promising for anyone with a bit of time.
    Re 3D imagination some of the wisweb applets are excellent, I have used these in class / computer rooms - see Wisweb applets post here - scroll down a bit for building houses.

5. Thanks for the responses.
    I am trying to get to grips with it. I have managed to graph on it and do some loci/constructions and some plans. Think the easter break will allow me a little play with it. ATM it looks like geogebra still gets my vote.
    I want Autograph I think, anyone get on with it?

6. One thing that is very cool in Google Sketchup is that having drawn a cube, you can copy it (Drag rectangle then Ctrl-C) and then paste it multiple times (Ctrl-V then click where you want it) and you can (fairly) easily stick the new cubes on the face of an existing cube.

7. I used AutoGraph a great deal in many of my lessons although it did take a while to get used to it. I find that it's ability to animate makes many concepts a lot clearer to the pupils. As far as 3D representation goes as far as I'm concerned very few computer packages could ever replace the straw and blue tack model that I remake every year.

8. I used it last two weeks ago. My year 8 class were doing an investigation involving the placement of security camera(s) in a shop to maximize the floor space under surveillance. It was very easy to create a 3D google shetchup of the shop layout, with a number of shoppers strategically placed in it, to match the floor plan. This enabled me to dynamically move the placement of the camera, and change its direction, to show what could be seen by the camera at different positions, and helped the class visualize the sight lines.