1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Google Maps...

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by TEACHER16, Feb 7, 2012.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I want to introduce the children to using google maps within their ICT lesson. Have you used this with a class? What activities did you do? I thought about asking the children to see if they could find their house but I need other activities for children to complete. We are about to begin a topic with map reading etc. Any help would be very much appreciated thanks.
    </td></tr></table>

2. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I want to introduce the children to using google maps within their ICT lesson. Have you used this with a class? What activities did you do? I thought about asking the children to see if they could find their house but I need other activities for children to complete. We are about to begin a topic with map reading etc. Any help would be very much appreciated thanks.
    </td></tr></table>

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

How about poieditor.com, which uses Google Maps data to enable you to create SatNav 'Point of Interest' (POI) files and save them in a variety of popular formats including .CSV. To do the job properly you'd need to devise an icon in Paint or such like so the points showed up on the SatNav display. A summer holiday touring itinerary springs to mind. Students whose parents have got SatNav devices could test the files at home.

Another suggestion is using Google Maps for route planning.

There's little doubt that most of them could find their house in Streetview - next to playing Flash games it's the most popular lesson time waster I've seen ;-)

4. Google maps combined with geocaching activities are great fun! We've been doing them for years.
    http://www.geocaching.com/education/default.aspx
    Start by watching the Geocaching in two minutes video link on the above page.
    4 or 5 cheapish GPS units e.g.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-eTrex-Handheld-GPS-Navigator/dp/B000PDV0CE/ref=dp_cp_ob_ce_title_0/280-5952873-4101949
    and a few trails around the school to start with and further afield later on and away you go. Plenty of other mapping-type exercises can be found in the top link.

5. There's a blog "Google Sightseeing" which is basically unusual things to look for on GM. Some of which are dubious :)

6. Hello all,
    Google has uploaded quite a few resources onto TES including one about using Google Maps.
    You might find some inspiration there.
    Google's resources shared on TES
    Hope it's useful
    Gail