1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Google Maps

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TEACHER16, Feb 7, 2012.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I want to introduce the children to using google maps within their ICT lesson. Have you used this with a class? What activities did you do? I thought about asking the children to see if they could find their house but I need other activities for children to complete. We are about to begin a topic with map reading etc. Any help would be very much appreciated thanks.

2. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I want to introduce the children to using google maps within their ICT lesson. Have you used this with a class? What activities did you do? I thought about asking the children to see if they could find their house but I need other activities for children to complete. We are about to begin a topic with map reading etc. Any help would be very much appreciated thanks.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Which age range? I have used them with Year 8s in the past.

4. I used it with year one. They LOVED it! We looked at the satellite views and tried to identify local landmarks, we looked for our own homes and then used Streetview. They searched for places they had been to on holiday, zoomed over Africa, went to the poles etc. Really fun learning!

5. If you're able to get it installed on the computers, I'd suggest using Google Earth instead. It's free, and requires an internet connection, just as Google Maps does, but it's a more intuitive interface and a touch more powerful in regards to features.

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

You were using Google Earth, the OP wants to use google maps. I would think google maps is fine for Y3 upwards although I haven't used them with a class.

7. I've used it before for something or other (can't honestly remember what the exact context was) but to be honest they got so much out of just looking for their road, planning out how they'd walk to local venues and then looking at the overhead actual street view that that took up the large part of a session (we were on the IWB though not individual PCs). Then they wanted to know my route to school so we looked at that (depends how happy you are for them to know that bit lol), and looked at some "big" places like football stadia etc etc from what I remember - was a long while ago before all the street view and things came in though.

8. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Its for children aged 8 and 9. I didnt think about using Google Earth would that be easier?

9. I have used Google Earth with Year 1s and they loved it, in fact when they had free choice they often went on it just to zoom in and out ! We used it in an assembly too and the parents were very impressed that they could find their own streets, we had been learning our address and postcode so just typed in the post codes.