1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Google classroom / docs for annotating&drawing diagams

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lunarita, Sep 24, 2020.

1. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

This is probably not the right forum but it gets most traffic.

Has anyone found a way to use the Gsuite to set tasks which students need to annotate or draw on? I'm thinking of the typical science exam style question. There are various articles explaining how to edit pdf files in google docs, but this seems to assume text only and loses the images. It appears the only way to do it is to send it as a pdf, have them print it, complete it on paper and then scan and upload it.

It seems a fairly big hole in google's educational provision. Browsing for help it seems the question has been asked many times, over several years, yet seems to be something google hasn't wanted to tackle yet - given importance of remote learning or the past 6 months it seems surprising that they still haven't added this.

I'd be very interested to hear about any ideas / workarounds anyone has found.

Thanks in advance

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Quantity and quality are not the same thing.

ajrowing likes this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

You can in fact do it, but only on mobile devices, which display a range of draw tools at the bottom of the screen after you tap on Edit.
    You are right, it is completely absurd that this feature is not available for, say, PC use.
    The mobile edit/draw function can also confuse students when they go to retrieve their amendments-a few of them seem to end up with multiple versions in different locations, not sure why. You'll need to play with it to see.
    I'm not the biggest fan of using G class-so much of it is clunky rather than intuitive, three steps where two would do, but hey ho, I guess habit is always a good workaround to that.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    lunarita likes this.
  4. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

Thank you most helpful.

5. NCSexton

NCSexton New commenter

I tended to put the diagram on as a pic in the document with Label A, Label B etc and then had a table below with A B C D E etc and the pupils could type the word into the table by the matching letter. It seemed the most simple and easy to mark too.

6. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Thank you, that's very helpful to know
    yes, I have thought about this, but the volume of extra work it generates could be huge - thinking of converting past papers for KS4 and 5 to this format is unbearable. At the moment it's just for homeworks, but if/when we end up back in lockdown or with year groups quarantined, it will be every class and i just couldn't keep up with it.

I am experimenting with using the pdf (converted to an image) on a google Slides to allow them to edit it on there - I think they should be able to place text boxes over it? We will see and I'll let you know how they get on.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Slides works that way too. In fact is better because some kids will like to keep the original slide and then add in another one, a copy which they have annotated.

One thing you can try is to send out a piece of work which is designed to train you. Tell them it is not a set piece, but one where you want them to come back with suggestions of the tech you can use to manipulate and edit the file content. Ask themalso if there is a better way they would like to receive it from you.
    Many kids are one step ahead of us, and some of them amaze me with the swanky seemless stuff they produce, not content wise, but in multi media presentation . I think also some of the more teccy parents got in on the act when they were tiny and helped them there, and it's all training for us too if we ask about it.
    Most of what I know about remote learning comes from the kids' responses and a couple of good posters on here-we sure as heck weren 't given any training at school.

lunarita likes this.
  8. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Yes, I have given them a couple of options and asked them to tell me what's easiest for them.

We will see......

9. elder_cat

elder_cat Lead commenter

Hi @lunarita

Haven't had occasion to try this yet myself, but maybe consider using the Snip and Sketch app in Windows 10? You give an image file to students, and they then annotate/draw on the image using Snip and Sketch, then return their version to you? The article referred to below says they would also be able to use the keyboard for text annotation, rather than having to try and write with the mouse.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-ca08e124-cc30-2579-3e55-6db63e36fbb9

10. elder_cat

elder_cat Lead commenter

Hi @lunarita

Apologies, but it seems I was mistaken about being able to enter text directly in the Snip and Sketch app using the keyboard. The students just need to select the '...' option from the main menu bar in Snip and Sketch, then choose 'Open With' and open the image in Paint. They can then add a standard text box, type their annotation and do a standard 'Save As'.

11. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Many thanks @elder_cat and @sbkrobson - I think maybe I'm overthinking and should just trust that students will find a way to do this.
    There seems to be a culture of accepting their pathetic excuses and putting everything on a plate for them at this school, so I want to be absolutely certain that I'm not giving the lazy ones any excuse.