1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goodness I am BORED

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mistermanager, Sep 8, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've been teaching 20 years - I've never been bored.

If you feel bored - go and do something else. You obviously don't care about teaching.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

As I geared myself up to go in every morning my mantra was "Well at least its never dull!" and that kept me going even in pretty bad times - oh and I was paid quite well.

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

You posted this in January.

**hushed reverant tones** Could it be that a growth mindset actually does exist and you are that person who has one?

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Troll Alert

Teaching is never boring - every lesson is different - how can you be bored.

5. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Smug reply. Year after year of ks3 bottom sets. Same old text book same old sow all imposed from above. Yes it can be boring and tedious. Not all the time but certainly it helps to think of the money and the holidays.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There are many emotions which teaching can drive you to but I don't think boredom is one of them.

7. hamcguin

hamcguin New commenter

it's either promotion or get a job in a school in 'da hood's somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Nasty prejudice here. " Da hood".
    And from someone in a profession that is supposed to be rational. Gosh. Do get some help for that.

tall tales and Faidha like this.
  8. Oldbutnotreally

Oldbutnotreally New commenter

I really don't wish to be rude but I find it astonishing that the OP feels his work is boring. Surely if he feels this way then he needs to look closely at his practice to see where he's going wrong. After teaching for 40 years and now just retired, I was never bored, every day was different and I was constantly looking for new ways to teach and ensure the children enjoyed their learning. I loved my job and although I realise I was fortunate to be in great schools, there was never time to be bored! Some days were harder than others, some classes were harder than others but life was never boring!

Lara mfl 05 and peakster like this.
  9. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

I have to say, I agree with @peakster . I think I've experienced almost every emotion going during my career, but it has never been boring. Sometimes that has been the only thing that has kept me going.

bevdex, peakster and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Try teaching in an infant school. Never a dull moment there!

11. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

Try teaching EYFS. I have been many, many things but absolutely never been bored!

Mrsmumbles and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Become a TES Author! Your username could be ‘bored but brilliant’!

13. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Oh indeed. When my PA scheduled me in for my 11 am online TED TALK (‘improving upon excellence’) I gazed mournfully across my listed mansion’s immaculately manicured lawn and thought to myself: “I’m the Great Gatsby.”
    Then, reluctantly reaching for another Martini, I sighed with inexplicable despondency.

14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I was a bit bored this afternoon...The children had been scooping a cup of rice and then pouring it back into the tray for about an hour. Totally engrossed and didn't want to do anything else, with or without the rice. But was seriously boring to observe after about 15 mins!

annascience2012 and jarndyce like this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Back to normal today...
    We'd been watching Beatles song videos on youtube and one 'just moved to the UK' child said their first full sentence in English 'I live in a yellow submarine'. (I am secretly very, very proud of this!) :)
    Two boys got married to each other...complete with tiaras for both and rings!
    A full on fight broke out over who could get the last piece of masking tape off the carpet at the end of Helicopter stories.

16. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

That sounds more like it!

17. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Occasional commenter

16 years in, and this is how I feel. I can't do the job standing on my head, and actually I think this makes me a better teacher, not a worse one. I'm still vulnerable to the odd flat or downright cr*ppy lesson, though my results and behaviour mgt are excellent and my reputation with the kids is very nice and positive.

On paper, I'm sure I could be bored by now, but - and this is going to sound hokey - I really, really like the kids. Learning who they are, what livens them up, what calms them down, what they like, what they're scared of, their families, their friendships. Being able to be on the door of my classroom every single lesson, greeting them by name, being (perhaps) one of the only people in their life that looks pleased to see them when they walk in a room. You can't buy that. Maybe I'll get bored of it one day, but not so far.

(The admin, performance management and whims of senior leaders, OTOH? Now that's boring.)

18. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

As the old proverb / threat goes: "May your life be interesting."

:confused:

19. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

To OP-How do you know that you are good at your job?

hamcguin likes this.
  20. jibberjabber77

jibberjabber77 New commenter

work for large MAT, they will make you too stressed to be bored! Anyway leave if the job I'd boring there are plenty of other things u can do