1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goodness I am BORED

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mistermanager, Sep 8, 2019.

1. mistermanager

mistermanager New commenter

I have been teaching for 12 years now, having progressed to HoD 8 years ago. I don't really wish to progress further but now find the job so damn easy (I am no gloating).

I can teach standing on my head and now find zero challenge in the job... Ultimately I am bored stiff. I know it may seem an odd emotion to be experiencing, but it is how it is. I do not wish to change school before that gets posted, as I am at the best possible school really. It is also nothing to do with it being early in the term as I have been bored stiff for a couple of years now! Pay, pension and holidays are too good to lose haha! I am also extremely good at my job.

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I know! I often feel the same, but then if I look carefully, if I really focus, I'm pretty sure I can see a bunch of individual kids actually there in the same room as me...

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

There seem to be a lot more joke posts than there used to be. Having said that, some of the (probably) genuine ones seem to suggest that SMT now wants teachers to just 'tick boxes' rather than really care about students as individuals. Perhaps that is very boring for teachers-we used to be encouraged to keep trying new things and were respected as professionals who could keep on learning. As one of the best teachers I knew once said, 'The children keep on teaching you more things; every time you think you have nothing left you learn, you realise that you do!'
    She worked before data and tick-boxes came before children though, so she was never bored! My only advice to anyone who is genuinely in OP's situation is to try another school (even if you think yours is the best, I'm sure there that if you are so bored, there just MIGHT be others that are better for you)-once you've checked you can get similar pay/pension etc.

Laphroig, agathamorse and sbkrobson like this.
  4. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I really do not know what to suggest- you don’t want to progress and you don’t want to leave your current school. Why don’t you want to progress- you possess significant amount of leadership experience- have you not considered an Assistant Head position, that’s the natural move for yourself, unless you want to step down to a standard class teacher and find yourself even more bored!

5. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Don't worry about getting bored, once you reach UPS 3 your HT will start making things much more interesting for you.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's true, that is, very true.
    The kids I work with and have worked with teach me far more than I have ever taught them. The job of delivering a list of stuff and doing the paperwork is secondary to me.
    I became a teacher because I enjoy people-the sources in school are endless, and so I cannot think of a less boring job.
    (Perhaps being a chat show host-I'd like that too.)

It makes me sad that educationalists have been driven so far away from the true dialogue of education, and into the realm of box ticking and point scoring. If you are intrinsically good at these things, distinct skills in themselves, then yes, it must be boring.
    But then a job is a job.Surely most of them are boring?

Laphroig and agathamorse like this.
  7. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

Sounds like you have it pretty sweet compared to most of us. I am by no means bored, but I am an anxious wreck, constantly looking over my shoulder with no social life to speak of. I would trade in a heart beat.

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I suspect many people in many different jobs feel like the OP... That's life, you'll just have to suck it up and keep going for another 25 years or so!o_O

Or seek a new challenge ;)

9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

How about writing a book or mentoring teachers who might benefit from your expertise.

There are a lot of people, I am sure who could benefit from the skills, talent and ability you are blessed with.

10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I would be careful. Boredom can breed apathy and that could lead to surprise capability however good anyone thinks they are. If you're teaching somewhere perfect and are bored, it's either promotion or get a job in a school in 'da hood's somewhere.

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

How arrogant. The OP seems to be channelling the lounging front bench member for North East Somerset.

mm71, Summerhols6, Laphroig and 4 others like this.
  12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

One of the things I felt, was that, whatever else it was, teaching was not boring. Every day brought something different to grapple with, a new challenge, a new breakthrough or a new success. Some days brought nothing but a pain. But they weren’t boring.

I’d suggest if you have been bored for so long and you don’t want to continue being bored, you need to look for a new and different challenge and perhaps it’s not in teaching.

ms honey, bevdex, agathamorse and 3 others like this.
  13. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I can sympathise with this. I once had a day when I taught regular French er verbs to three year seven classes and one very low year ten group and I just felt there had to be more to life than that!

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  14. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Everything is boring after the newness wears off. If you're bored the pupils you teach must be bored. You need to look for new ways to make it more interesting for yourself and your pupils.

15. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I'm not really convinced that being totally bored with being good at the job. They seem incompatible to me. And the best possible school isn't the one with bored teachers!

One of my mantras is that lovely quote by Steve jobs about the "only way to do great work is to love what you do".

If you're bored, make a challenge, take on something new, find a new approach, get to know the kids, teach something more challenging, take on a new club, it's in your hands.

16. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I think it can be boring. Marking is boring. A timetable which has no variety can be boring. In my case it was due to a Hod cherry picking all the best groups. Inset can be boring and meetings too. Listening to some young upstart slt reinventing the wheel. I could go on but of course there are the funny things and just nice moments, although they seem to be fewer now that teachers and pupils are not encouraged to be inventive or spontaneous.

17. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I have sympathy for the OP - I was incredibly bored a couple of years ago, due to being in a school where the C***-In-Chief HOD took all the A-Level groups for her and the deadbeat **** of a HoF, andgave the nice, intelligent groups to the two twentysomethings who both left teaching fairly quickly, leaving me with a load of **** KS3. I moved schools.

But the OP is not prepared to do that, so I'm not sure what to suggest.

(Isn't it strange how I haven't seen that HoD for over a year, but I still sometimes hope she falls under a bus. Oops, sorry.)

sabrinakat likes this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Move to a different kind of school? A different age range? A different subject?
    It's what I've done several times over the years to keep the boredom at bay.

pepper5 likes this.
  19. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

I'm rather envious that you find it all so easy - I wish I did! I like pepper's suggestion of writing a book to share your knowledge / ideas - could be useful for the rest of us.

I do sympathise with the view that it can be quite dull if you have a rubbish timetable of much the same thing everyday, especially if the school ethos isn't particularly into innovation or doesn't match your preferred teaching style.

If you are HOD, are you in a subject where you could mix up the topics (e.g. offer Islam as an option instead of St. Mark's Gospel at RS GCSE next year) so you have the opportunity to research plan and develop something new? Could you rejig what you teach at KS3?

Would something outside school give you more intellectual stimulation e.g. do a Master's or EdD or something?

Also, I know you said you were in the best possible school but depending on what you mean by best, you could certainly gain more challenge by switching to a school in a different context...

sabrinakat likes this.
  20. livingstone83

livingstone83 Occasional commenter

I feel exactly the same!

Only yesterday I was stood in my y-fronts, admiring my perfectly chiselled abs and 10/10 frame, calling to my beautiful wife that we really should get a new Bentley, as I'm a bit fed up with the Rolls Royce.

The conversation then trailed off a bit as I evaluated my incredible intellect, my sky high IQ, my sexual magnetism, my perfect house, wife and indoor swimming pool.

bunsen64, mm71, ms honey and 9 others like this.