1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goodbye Uber: License not renewed for London

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Sep 22, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

What does this mean for the many Londoners whom have come to depend on Uber?

I must say, I for one found it to be the most frustrating form of travel, whilst my daughter loved it.

Regulatory laws need to be adhered to by every company. Let's wait for the appeal decision before those of you like me are quite happy about this

Increase in unemployment levels?

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It'll mean my daughter will be more likely to have to walk around the streets of London (queue for a song ;)) on her own after dark...Not a good development.

palmtree100 likes this.
  3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Does she not have a phone to ring for a taxi (or a mobile phone app, which is what I use on the rare occasions when I need a London cab. ComCab are good, I find. I've never used Uber).

InkyP, needabreak and woollani like this.
  4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

The black cab drivers will be partying all weekend!

thekillers likes this.
  5. delmamerchant

What I find really weird about all of this is a few months ago there seemed to be an outpouring of anguish over how unethical the company were in relation to working conditions now almost a million people have forgotten this and signed a petition.

Laphroig likes this.
  6. delmamerchant

They should hold onto their cabs a bit as there will be a long drawn out appeal I am sure.

7. delmamerchant

I think people have forgotten that mini cab offices still exist. But we are living in a technological age so some of these local companies need to get their finger out and compete.

8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Pretty normal divide - you were brought up to idolize the expensive black cabs with all their rules (or nonsense depending on your pov) while the younger folk do not give a damn about 'we have the knowledge' and just want a good, easy to get and cheap ride home.

A very large section of Uber drivers are immigrants and probably will lose out big time if Uber collapses. Or the Mayor and Labour too- Khan is being targeted hard.

But you are right about the appeal and we need to remember Uber is an American company and they are as most Americans very good at the legal fights.

They will be accusing the mayor of denying free and fair trade and as far as I can tell they have already approached this so they can continue to work as normal for up to a year under appeal.

In that time they will embarrass a so called socliast mayor and London Labour control by pointing out how much this will destroy the poor while ensuring they compromise on the most necessary details only.

Probably just end in more money to lawyers and a few extra checks for drivers.

9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Which is a bit of a waste of everyone's tie (and money) when all they need to do is comply with the regulations.

10. florian gassmann

There are numerous phone apps for booking taxis and minicabs. Uber is only the best known because they have thrown millions at advertising with the intention of dominating the market/

sbkrobson likes this.
  11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Uber need to improve their working practices and then they will presumably be welcome.

GLsghost likes this.
  12. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Indeed. Competition can only ever be a good thing but working practices, as they affect workers and safeguarding is a concern that needs to be addressed. I mentioned on the other thread that a major issue is the widespread practice of sub-letting cars to friends, relatives and anyone who will pay, so there is no guarantee that the person driving the cab is licensed, vetted, has insurance or even a driving licence. This is happening in London I and Southampton, that I know of. That is not an issue peculiar to Uber, of course, but by I am very wary of private hire firms.

If Uber has any sense it will quickly get its act together and local authorities need to get theirs together to ensure strict regulation and prosecution where breaches are found.

Suits the slimy Mayor of London, of course, to have Uber out of the way, given that he is sponsored by the GMB and London Taxi Drivers Association. Get used to more union strangleholds, closed shops and sky-high prices if Labour gets even more power. This is just the beginning.

13. delmamerchant

It is my understanding that the mayor did not make the decision so I am not sure why he is getting such bad press.

In reference to affecting immigrants it is their cause and working conditions that brought the issue of regulation to the forefront.

Why is Uber saying that thousands will be unemployed as they have stipulated that their drivers are self employed. If you are self employed how can you then become unemployed? there are plenty of driving jobs and opportunities that these drivers could take up.

Listening to the radio, all of a sudden, I am hearing a host of drivers talking about how they like it because they can work the hours they choose - again , recently these zero hours contracts were a large issue for Uber drivers - there are many other flexible working mini cab firms out there.

wanet likes this.
  14. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Why? I've never used an uber because in London especially, the transport system is pretty good at getting you where you need to go if you're in the centre, and further out there tend to be plenty of mini cab firms that are easy to look up on google (or often have offices/numbers displayed in or around stations).

15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Not only her, and the 25 year old daughter of a friend I saw yesterday - she said everyone of her age use them - cheap, convenient,

elledriver likes this.
  16. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

They may be cheap and convenient, but hardly the only option bar walking.
    There's a reason I've never felt the need, which is basically because they do not appear to be cheaper or more convenient than calling a cab and paying in cash in the more traditional way.
    I always use the same firm in my local area. They know me now from my mobile number and I always feel reassured that I'm getting in a car with someone I trust.

lizziescat and GLsghost like this.
  17. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Trouble with that is the local firm won't drive 20 miles to the centre of London to take people 20 miles back home. Well, not at a reasonable cost and they won't get there in 10 minutes

18. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

There were given 4 ? Months to comply and haven't. It is the taxpayer who picks up the bill. It concerns me that councillors are vunerable and cave in to big companies because they are worried about legal technicalities and the high costs involved.
    The same with building contractors who keep submitting plans for thousands of houses uhtil they get what they want.

19. florian gassmann

20. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

I've not heard any drivers complain, so I think the whole thing about poor working conditions was blown up by uber's rivals.
    Most drivers I speak to love the flexibility of the job and the control it gives them in their lives. If they are not well educated or have a low level of literacy this is one job they can easily do to avoid being on benefits. All they need is to be able to drive and have no criminal record. They can work any hours they want to fit around childcare etc.
    I know this job has provided many long term unemployed people with a chance. But someone somewhere isn't happy.