1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goodbye to Rebus

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Ophelia 9, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

I'm currently reading 'Exit Music', the last Rebus story by Ian Rankin. Daughter is trying to wind me up by insisting that Rebus is going to die.
    Now if she turns out to be right I will be devastated - b****r Harry Potter et al, who will provide counselling for me if this happens? How will I cope without him even if he just rides off into the sunset?

2. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

I'm currently reading 'Exit Music', the last Rebus story by Ian Rankin. Daughter is trying to wind me up by insisting that Rebus is going to die.
    Now if she turns out to be right I will be devastated - b****r Harry Potter et al, who will provide counselling for me if this happens? How will I cope without him even if he just rides off into the sunset?

3. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

WWWWhhhhhhhaaaaaaatttttttt?????????? when did that come out????

4. Crystalsecrets

Hubby now says he told me about it, HE DIDN"T, thanks i now have something to go buy on Saturday :)

5. You're right. Sod that boy wizard, this is the most important last bow of a literary character this year.

I too will need a spot of post-Rebus rehab, probably involving a pint of Deuchar's with a whisky chaser.

Am waiting for 'Exit Music' to come out in paperback before I read it though, so I must politely request that anyone who does read it before then doesn't post any spoliers!

'The Naming of the Dead' was fan-bloody-tastic, by the way.

6. ive not gotten around to this one yet..i hope he doesnt die, but i bet he does :(

7. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

I read an interview with Ian Rankin and I'm sure it said that he was going to retire Rebus because he was 60. He said maybe he might come back in the future in a different role (I think)

8. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

If he's 60 how come he remembers all the music I do from my youth? I'm not that old!
    Hope you're right, wicked witch, I haven't enjoyed Ian Rankin's non-Rebus books as much - don't know why, perhaps I just love that character. Maybe he could become a lay Ofsted inspector now!

9. Because the girl copper (can't remember her name - Siobhan?) used to lend him cds, if I remember rightly

10. Crystalsecrets

Just finished it :( can't believe theer will be no more. Still was as good as usual and quite topical.

11. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Well it seems that Rebus has apparently managed to claim the right to work again based on new Age Discrimination legislation! Ian Rankin is writing a new Rebus book, according to something I read this week - due out in November if I remember correctly.
    Didn't realise till I looked on here it had been that long since the last one. I have quite enjoyed the books with the Internal Affairs section but I'm definitely looking forward to the return of Rebus - hope it doesn't disappoint though.
    http://www.ianrankin.net/pages/news/index.asp?NewsID=62

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

If he's older than you he will remember the music from your youth and possibly before you were born. We don't stop listening to new music as we get older, it is also possible to listen to music that was popular in the distant past.
    [​IMG]

Just realised this is a very old post and Ophelia probably isn't posting on here any more. Never mind!

13. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

No I'm still here (it was me who resurrected this old thread), and you are right, of course, inky - I suppose I just tend to think that most people have a time they consider their favourite musically and it's usually when they are comparitively young.
    My own experience was that I do have a long period when musical trends passed me by -possibly because I had no television or radio in the first few years after I left home and couldn't afford to buy albums. Besides which, I'm not actually that much younger than Rebus is supposed to be - I now find myself feeling envious of his compulsory retirement at 60!

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm nearly his age. The music mentioned is one of the things I like about the books.