1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goodbye to EYFS?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by giraffe77, Nov 12, 2010.

1. A 9 will be level 3. If that is not the case reception teachers are assessing 9s rather over-optimistically and the SATs finds them out. A child you gets 9 in maths/lit is already a couple of years above those with 3 or 4. They won't catch up any day soon.
    I know the FS is the great leveller and place for dumbing down unfortunately brains will out and no vague criteria can prevent this.
    The Northampton research is wrong and no doubt was carried out to support their existing theory. Just because it is research doesn't mean its true. You'll be telling me next 7 out of 10 dogs prefer pedigree chum because they carried out research.

2. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

sorry to be daft, but what's d and a?

Thank you!

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Dispositions and attitudes. sorry!

4. In my borough we are told that to award point 9 indicates gifted and talented in that area.

5. not true either

6. Of course , you would know being the fount of all knowledge in EYFS!

7. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

BJ why don't you go argue with a wall, or a mirror, or in fact anything/anyone else other than the people on here?
    I might not agree with everything said on here, and everyone is entitled to an opinion, but you don't half force yours down peoples necks. There is a difference between a healthy discussion, and shooting down everyone who expresses a different opinion. All our schools are different, hence all our FS classrooms are different, hence we all have different feelings and views about the EYFS, because we all have different experiences of it! simples!

8. Please can anyone tell me where I can find a link to the Northampton research that has been mentioned?
    Thanks.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Every time you type you demonstrate your complete lack of knowledge regarding the profile SOAPy
    Profile points 1-3 are Stepping Stones and are usually achieved in nursery (on entry to reception) which is ONE year before the profile is completed and many children progress from a 3 or 4 on entry to scores of 9 by the time they enter Y1.

10. Surely this depends on how you organise/set up your Y1 class?

11. Yes happy day, that's true. What I mean't was that the paperwork required, as regards collecting evidence for the profile and assessment for 30 children in 'several' areas is much more demanding than that 'officially' required in Year 1.

12. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

returning to the original musings about the EYFS - I wonder if we are seeing another review because the original consultation was too pro the EYFS for the powers that be to impose a change to it - they are seeking a second opinion so to speak

13. Blimey, some thread! Wish I'd discovered the forums on TES years ago!
    I'm lucky, I haven't got years of experience prior to the EYFS but was around to see the transition of the National Standards/Birth to Three and Foundation Guidance. Some seem to have forgotton how the EYFS has pulled everything together, making it more easily accesable, especially to new staff. The statutory requirements are just that STATUTORY, and so they should be, they exist to protect children from settings that are failing in the simplest of duties. I agree, some pages ago, that the EYFS will only ever be as good as the practitioners who implement it. It is open to intepretation and there are certainly some development statements that still make me laugh! But the emphasis on learning through play is sound and so are the four base commitments in essence.
    I spend hours at home catching up with paperwork as a manager but relish the time when I am compiling my key group files and planning for their next steps because for me, this is what counts. How dare anyone suggest that all we do in early years is rearrange resources!!! I would love to see how long any secondary school teacher, or even ks1 or 2 lasted in an early years setting. You couldn't pay me a teaching salary to work in statutory schooling, I like my focus to be on the individual child, not what sat results I can churn out en masse.
    The last thing I need is a complete overhaul just becuase the new government wants to prove a point, in terms of reseach, reading and implementing the right paperwork it will be a whole new nightmare. Maybe the area of schooling that should be under scrutiny is far after these children leave our care to enter 'real education'.

14. I have been told that too, by an 'early years consultant'

But I do feel sad reading BJ's comments. I feel that the EYFS is not perfect and although there is a sense of dumbing down, I would like to say that I think many children I have worked with seem to need to go at a slower pace.I don't know if it is to do with so many languages in any one class or changes in society. In the two years of working with Reception, I have not given a scale point 9 in any area of learning to any child. Rarely do I give 8. I think this is not a fault of my teaching but the children's lack of practical experiences when they arrive to Reception or Nursery. Many of my children need help talking and listening. Many have needed support with holding a book in Reception! I think learning through play can support this. if done correctly. I do think there are many, many wonderful teachers in all age groups, but there are many rubbish ones too. maybe that is what BJ is saying. If a Reception teacher just plonks things/activities out and expects the children to get on with it' or just aimlessly wanders about when the children are outside, as described by Brainjim, then that, to me, is not a good Reception teacher.

We need to know when to intervene and when to step back. We need to support the development of our children with the 'foundations' of learning, which involves using the child's own sense of curiosity and awe. I would argue that practical activities/ learning through play when used with observation and open ended questioning is the best way to do this.

Although I mentioned that I have worked in Reception for 2 years, I have worked with children for 15 years, as a Nursery Nurse, trained Montessori teacher and qualified teacher in state schools. I now work abroad, in a Reception class.

15. Isn't this is exactly what is advocated through the EYFS though??? Maybe it just needs more intuitive practitioners to implement it as it should be. Unfortunately this takes passion, hard work and sensitivity. I will no doubt implement whatever comes next with the same attitude that I try to apply across the board, it's not about accepting whatever is thrown at us, it's about putting it into practice in the way we intuitively know is right.

16. Anymore news on the revised EYFS yet?
    I heard today that the 4 themes are staying the same, but it's being slimmed down. Would be good to hear about the statutory document and changes to it, as we are starting to look more into the future with a new head who started last Sept, and he doesn't know any more than me yet.
    Thanks

17. Please would you elaborate and reveal your source cuckoomoomoo ?

18. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

No one knows for sure yet. But changes are coming. Not to the principles etc but to other parts. Early learning goals and EYE FSP.

19. I have heard that there will only be four areas of learning in the revised EYFS.
    I was told that these would be PSED, CLL, PD but my informant couldn't remember the fourth area. They did say that it wasn'tPSRN.
    The view was that this reflected this government's desire to slim down the curriculum to core subjects.
    Can anyone explain to me why Mathematics is not under consideration as a core area of learning? Is it not a life skill that even our youngest learners need? Or is my information wrong?
    And why can't I find any real information any where on any of this, instead of relying on snippets passed to me third-hand?

20. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

It is because it is not finalised yet. There may even be a further consultation in the spring.
    I have heard two areas ish PSED and CLLD sp and list. Then add maths, literacy, physical and creative . This should add up to 7 strands but does not, meaning I have forgotten one.
    20 early learning goals.
    Training will be needed eh?
    The results of the earlier consultation are published. Anyone got them?