1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goodbye to EYFS?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by giraffe77, Nov 12, 2010.

1. sounds very much like a time management issue. No one needs to have 3 hours sleep so don't turn yourself in to a burning martyr. If you leave everything to the last minute that's your fault.

2. Not quite sure who I'm replying to as this discussion seems to be going round in circles of arguments of who knows best, who's done what and how and less about what is or should be happening in the EYFS.
    Firstly I wanted to say that the information from my head is that there are changes afoot for EYFS, although all he could tell me was thatv it was something called 'Ready to Progress', which will be 'measured' at ages 5 and 11. The measures will be taken in the 3R's.
    It's about time a sense of balance was brought back into Primary education, paricularly in the EYFS, where we use the best elements of all these different philosophies. For instance, the formality of the daily phonics lesson, which has raised standards in reading and writing steadily over the last 6 years in my school; or the exctiement of children learning through exploration and discovery, as we investigated the frost and ice in our outdoor classroom this morning, unplanned but no less important; skillful intervention in children's play to move their learning forward through sustained shared thinking.
    Having been a teacher now for over 20 years it is interesting to watch everything come round again, but I wish we could keep the best of what went before.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Well said dudette88, your day sounds pretty much like mine.

By the way, I heard an interesting piece on Radio4 the other day about so-called Internet Trolls who go on forums such as this with the sole intention of annoying people. Apparantly the best way of dealing with it is not to respond.

Just saying.....

4. In your complete ignorance you seem to be missing the point BrainJim. Lizziejae and I are not at 'loggerheads', the children in my class and most other reception classes certainly do learn through play i.e. fun and engaging activities for the children to explore and find out from. I did not once say otherwise. The point I made was that they also learn through direct teaching (whole class, groups, individual). You are also clearly very naive in the whole assessment process in EYFS as it is not a case of simply following them round writing observations and taking pictures.
    Yes I am inexperienced and I have a lot to learn (many of the experienced teachers I know say they are still learning after 30 years or so teaching!) but the argument you were putting forward is that reception teachers do not teach, which is complete and utter ****. Also if I were to ask you what you were basing your criticism on, it most definately wouldn't be the good practice that I have seen from both fairly new and 'inexperienced' reception teachers to the ones who have been teaching for god knows how long.
    Oh and don't take this the wrong way but as you are so experienced why don't you go and put your feet up and feel happy that you clearly know everything there is to know about the foundation stage (yeah right)...basically, what I'm trying to say is p*ss off and leave these discussions to people who actually teach in it.

5. That's good to know Inky [​IMG]

6. For someone whose user name is 'BrainJim', you seem to have very little understanding of neurological development in children, either at EYFS or GCSE age. Would you like me to enlighten you? You would be able to get a rise out of people on this forum much more easily if you had better ammunition...

7. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Oh I don't know. I think he/she does spectacularly well getting people to 'rise'.

8. Good Ol' Brainjim, maybe he does get people to rise! Rise to the challenge of explaining what Foundation should be all about. Responding to his innane comments can start off and re-invigorate some excellent discussions.
    At one point he said that TAs could run Reception by themselves. That made me think. The irony is that many TAs I have come across try to 'teach' the children didactically in just the way BJ seems to advocate. It's the non-wisdom of 'common sense' coming from good intentions without knowledge and considered reflection. Other TAs are fantastic and have a wonderful sense of where children are at and what they need - these are mostly older, more experienced TAs, though not necessarily.
    BJ, if you can keep us thinking and reflecting on what children need and why, keep on trolling along.

9. lilacliz

lilacliz New commenter

I think you should consider doing year 1 or 2 instead of FS, you don't sound as if you're happy there. As an Early years practitioner I am sick of having to explain the EYFS to people who clearly have no understanding of child development and pedagogy. I have spent years adapting to different Government interference I wish they would let us get on with it and leave us alone - we are the professionals not them!! Did you opt for early years or just find yourself there, perhaps a change might be better for you - it is a lot to take in unless you have done relevant background work with early years?

10. Unbelievable. Some of you actually object to foundation stage practise and philosophy being questioned. To me this shows how wafer thin the whole foundation stage is. If a system that is so new can't undergo analysis then I suspect it is a system that is very brittle.
    For those inexperienced among you the FS is new. It is not universally held in high regard quite the contrary. Many teachers and certainly parents are dismissive of it. Don't shoot the messenger.

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I don't think over a decade is particularly new

12. Having taught YrR, 1 and 2. I couldn't agree less. Greatest workload Y1, then Y2, YR was more flexible, less formal and markedly ower workload.

13. Msz

Msz Established commenter

good first post [​IMG]
    I've taught R Y1 and Y2 and Y1 was the least pressure/workload

14. Who?
    Who holds it in unquestioning high regard on here?
    Mmmm.... I'm wondering if you read the posts, or just drop in from time to time to have a quick rant against EY teachers? Bring it on.[​IMG]

15. Consensus of opinion across the Early Years board - according to the September consultation review - is to keep the EYFS like it is; it's not perfect but it's the best there's ever been and few want any more change. So the government in its infinite wisdom has put it back out for another public consultation .... just to make sure!?! Check out the DfE website.

16. Well this is an interesting debate!!
    As a teacher who taught when 'Nursery Vouchers' first arrived on our scene and have seen early years go through 'desirable outcomes' along those 'stepping stones' and seeing how 'development matters', it is interesting to see peoples opinions on the EYFS!
    Having arrived back in EY after being in Y1 last year I cna honestly say that despite the 'hard work' I am thoroughly enjoying it. I DO TEACH! and I think anyone who knows how F2 works is doing the same. You teach skills and concepts and then 'observe' the children applying their learning through 'child inititiated' activities (otherwise known by some critics as PLAY!).
    Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this what every teacher does - despite age of children. Ok so the observation won't exactly be 'play' but it will be a task that (hopefully) is fun and engagaing and meaningful!!
    Having taught YR-2 - my opinion is that Y1 is a very tough year group to teach as the children struggle to move from the more relaxed ethos of EY to a more structured approach of NC, therefore it is the transition that is hard - maybe this is where we should be looking! In my Y1 teaching I made my first term more like FS and the children made excellent progress and PSED was addressed through a slow move into the more structured approach. Y2 is equally as hard as you have SATs to contend with! I think if you are a good teacher then you will put your all into which ever year group you teach.
    Having said MY piece - I do feel the EProfile needs looking at especially as it does not fall in line with the EYFS anymore!

17. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Oo er crikey yes
    they are getting a second opinion......

18. I like you're style

19. I can't find where this info is. The only link I can find is dated August 10, can anyone tell me where to find it please?