1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goodbye to EYFS?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by giraffe77, Nov 12, 2010.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

As far as I know, and how far is that? it is still being digested and the people who replied were on the whole in favour of the EYFS
    but maybe not the EYEFSP?[​IMG]

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Dame Clare will provide a final report on the EYFS review in spring
    2011. The Government will then consult on any proposed changes before
    they take effect from September 2012.

3. So we need to be ready to respond again when it is published, and get our voices heard. Brain Jim, you can respond too. [​IMG]

4. Oh do me a favour! Let's have some well INFORMED opinion please?!

5. Just my little joke. [​IMG]

6. I hope your source is wrong!! I for one will feel the need to march past 10 Downing Street if they do start talking about replacing learning through play with a more formal approach to learning in the foundation stage...

7. I think some member miss the point of the EYFS somewhat - it isnt about teaching, it's about encouraging a child to discover science (point being questioned).
    I look forward to continuing with the current framework and will look objectively at whatever comes next.
    I'll pass on the pie thanks.

8. That's fine Debbieduck but do we really need well paid teachers for that? I think well trained HLTAs would be just as capable for a role in which teaching is not the main focus.

9. Bottom line. Play is a childs work - no play no learning...

10. That's not 100% true. If it was why would you sit the children down for whole class input. By your rationale the children are not playing so they are not learning so why bother? It brings me back to the need for class teachers it sounds like it would be more useful to have well trained play workers. Again by your rationale are teachers actually counter-productive hindering 100% opportunities for play?

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'll repeast now what I keep on saying: three-year-olds are not the same as five-year-olds, and that is the reason I don't trust the EYFS. Not that I want to give you amunition, BJ. I suspect that you'd have the three-year-olds sitting at tables and suffering a strict regime.
    Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

12. Totally and utterly wrong. The problem is not nursery it's the lack of challenge in reception. The dumbing down that has happened with EYFS is central to everything that is wrong.

13. Why is it that on so many foundation stage topics 'BrainJim' feels the need to be so petty? I am in my second year of teaching reception after training in KS2 and had the view to begin with that my job would be easy and that I would 'play all day'. Now this is because I was fed this **** by old fashioned, stuck in their ways teachers who didn't understand the EYFS at all! Yes some teachers probably could and do get away with not teaching very much and just shoving random activities out, but if you are putting it into practice properly then this is NOT the case!!! I DO TEACH MY CHILDREN - we start with phonics (TEACHING children how to read and spell), then we have a starter for whatever out main activity is (THEREBY TEACHING ALL CHILDREN), then our main activity with groups (TEACHING AND ASSESSING THROUGHOUT). While the main activity is going on some children complete directed tasks (SET BY TEACHER IN ORDER FOR THEM TO EXPLORE AND APPLY WHAT WE HAVE TAUGHT DURING THE INPUT) and others are able to choose from the range of actvities out which are planned and resourced very effectively to ensure children are LEARNING!!! All the while there is atleast one other adult SUPPORTING and ASSESSING the children's learning. We have a daily maths session where I TEACH the children, a daily circle time where I funnily enough also TEACH the children. And yes sometimes it may seem like reception teachers are 'just playing' but this is most likely because we plan and resource activities well, children are enaged and we are all having fun WHILST we are TEACHING AND CHILDREN ARE LEARNING!!! Get a life BrainJim and although I don't know what your job is, if you are a teacher may I suggest you spend more time actually planning exciting lessons for your own children and less time getting on your high horse trying to attack everybody else?

14. Love it!! [​IMG]

15. A previous poster Lizziejae stated 'Bottom line. Play is a childs work - no play no learning...'
    Are you two at loggerheads?
    Don't take this the wrong way but as you are only in your second year may be you are not so well placed to be so adamant and so critical of me. Maybe these 'stuck in their ways' teachers are what is sometimes known as 'experienced' who don't feel the need to jump on every ill-conceived bandwagon that comes along. They probably lived through the equally insane, and off course now consigned to the dustbin of history,' integrated day'.
    Instead of patronising experienced teachers why don't you ask them on what they are basing their criticism.

16. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Perhaps you might want to share how many years "exerience you have in reception SOAPy????

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

When it comes to BrainJim, ask and ye shall not receive.

18. I have been teaching early years/reception for nigh on 40 years. What an insult to our profession; on a par with the person who suggested when I started teaching that I was starting with the little ones and could teach the big ones as I got better....

Brainjim - if you are "walking outside for an hour making pointless observational notes" maybe you should be teaching physics? And if you are teaching physics, maybe you should try running a reception class with 30 pupils, hearing them read, teaching them boundaries, teaching them to write, count, speak...... not to mention subject leadership of two subjects as well as FS.... I could go on. Suffice to say that at the worst time in the summer term I was going to bed at 2am and getting up at 5.30 just to stay on top of it all....

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

BrainJim doesn't understand any of that.
    In fact, there's an awful lot that s/he doesn't understand.

20. the most common sense written in the last 6 years about the observations in the Foundation stage. Have yourself a teachers award!