1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goodbye to EYFS?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by giraffe77, Nov 12, 2010.

1. a year and a bit

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

that's right a couple of months less than it's actually been around so far

3. Brain Jim, you really have a very literal turn of mind. The comparison was about the motivation of the teacher when planning and delivering their teaching. The physics teacher will plan and deliver according to the pupils he is working with. The EYFS teacher will plan and deliver according to the pupils he is working with. Both will aim to engage the children. What engages 15 year olds is not the same as what engages 4/5 year olds. It is pointless triyng to graft the methods of teaching older children onto the task of teaching foundation.
    Now, that 'aimless' person wandering around outside is making it possible for the children to play in an outside environment, which is important for their concrete experience of the natural world (all getting a bit like physics?), for their physical development (to be able to run and exercise freely), and for their creative development (to have space and natural resources to develop more complex imaginative play). So the aim of the activity is to support the child's development and learning - what's not pedagogic about that? You have a very narrow definition of teaching. Also the teacher is likely to be interacting meaningfully with the children, on their level. Mmmm.... could that be teaching concepts, language and thinking skills maybe?
    As for putting equipment away. What are you saying? Teachers are above putting equipment away? Nobody who puts equipment away could possibly be able to teach? Sorry, I don't get your point.

4. Beadmaker - I too am an Early Years teacher who has moved into Year 1, with the intention of showing the FS approach.
    I would say that the first half-term was very hard work in terms of getting to grips with using the NC as opposed to the EYFS curriculum.
    All in all though, EYFS is harder work. The teachers in Early Years not only have to plan, prepare and assess, they have to do it in much greater detail and for every single child, not just a few selected APP children. Because learning is much more child-initiated in Early Years, planning and prep takes a lot more thought and teaching a lot more effort. Early Years don't have to mark books at the end of each day, but they do have to print off and annotate photos of children playing with comments about which learning objectives are being met. They have to annotate drawings and mark-making or writing with the same. They have to add post-it notes with comments about the children have said during these sessions.
    Believe me, there is much more work involved in implementing the EYFS as intented, than there is in teaching a Year 1 class.

5. Hopefully, (if being a physics teacher is something BrainJim sees as the ultimate teaching position) physics teachers have changed since I was at school - I'm still in my twenties, so it wasn't that long ago!
    Maybe I had a particularly bad one, but he used the same plans year after year, (and I know this because my brother is 4 years below me at school, and our books are almost identical), marked with a tick or a cross (no other feedback given), and we were just expected to sit and listen most of the time, with the occasional (!!) hands-on activity thrown in for good measure.
    That to me isn't 'teaching'! I don't think the EYFS is perfect, but there are some very positive parts that I hope continue.
    BrainJim - we all know by now that you don't agree with the EYFS and you have no respect for teachers who teach in F2. I didn't start the thread for people who don't like it to start pushing their opinions on other forum members, I started it because I wanted to know if anyone had heard of a change in EY pedagogy, and what it might be like in an F2 class in 2 years time. Please stop sounding-off, or perhaps start your own thread, and you (and other moaners) can debate it all by yourselves, so none of us positive-thinkers have to read it. I respect that everybody has an opinion, and that's fine with me (that's what I teach my F2 children to have), but please stop hyjacking my thread to blast out your opinion, with total disregard of everyone elses.

6. Typical of posters on this forum when a contrary notion is posted.
    You have to laugh. Soon BrainJim and his viewpoint will be mainstream and many of you will be outdated and held up at early years meetings as the fools that believed all this nonsense.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

or conversly the new primary curriculum due in 2013 will see you in the watertray

8. If you actually take the time to read my post, I not only said that I respect that you have your opinion, and that's fine - I don't agree with all you say, but I'll agree to disagree. I also said that I don't like a lot of the 'stuff' that comes with the EYFS (endless paper, photos, justifying yourself, ....), so by saying that I'm not respecting a contrary notion makes no sense.

I've just watched Strictly, and heard Brucie say that people who talk about themselves in the 3rd person are arrogant, ummmm ............

9. Couldn't help thinking of Gollum. [​IMG]

10. What is your viewpoint BJ? You spend so much time attacking the EYFS. Can you just run over what you would put in its place? And the rationale.
    You clearly don't think much teaching happens in early years at the moment. Can you outline what your ideal early years class would look like and the style of teaching you think should be used?

11. That's what I wanted this thread to become.... what do people see happening in the future?

12. I reckon that if the main motivation for changing is to save money there will be moves to subsume reception class back into KS1, and extend the NC downwards with an increased emphasis on the 3Rs (in the interests of higher standards in basic skills). The usefulness of TAs is already being questioned, creating the right climate for reducing TA numbers. I'm guessing that whole class teaching will suddenly be seen as the brilliant new idea.
    Perhaps we will go back to a situation in which whole class teaching of literacy and numeracy takes place each morning, and 'activities' take place each afternoon, perhaps after a whole class phonics session.

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

I don't believe in formal teaching for children below the compulsory age of school entrance. In that way, I'm a believer in the EYFS. It appals me to think that, under cover of reducing paperwork and waffle, a more formal regime will be introduced. If that happens, I shall moan about it just as forcefully - or more - as I've moaned about aspects of the EYFS.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

You, a cynic?

How right you are.

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

How soon before our advisers either revolt or chage their tune?

16. Change their tune. Although I hope that they are the first to be made redundant. A complete waste of money who have made many reception teachers' life a misery with their do this don't do that.
    In to the dustbin they go along with profiles, child-initiated messing about, deciding when to eat, post-it notes, overstaffing, children endlessly writing menus, doors always left open so the rest of the school freezes, FS staff being sent in to Y1 to show them how to do it, 80/20, 50/50 etc
    A bonfire of the insanities.

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

Do you honestly believe that three-year-olds should be subjected to tables and worksheets etc?
    Dp you think that Reception classes are overstaffed when so many children [no fault of the teachers] arrive at school with shocking behaviour difficulties?
    What is your thing about open doors and freezing temperatures? Were you left outside all day once while on supply?

18. Yes. We know how you feel. Now tell us how to do it right.

19. Dp you think that Reception classes are overstaffed when so many children [no fault of the teachers] arrive at school with shocking behaviour difficulties?

Not to mention children who aren't toilet trained. I have lost count of the number of times I have had to stop what I am doing (no, not always writing a post it note, usually small group focus work) to change a wet child.

20. Advisers will disappear. They are soft and squidgy compared to the THOUGHT POLICE.