1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goodbye to EYFS?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by giraffe77, Nov 12, 2010.

1. God let it be true.
    As the arch-critic of this failed experiment I can only hope that the EYFS is finally put out of its irrational misery. I might have gone along with it but my stomach turned at the thought of teachers being paid the same for walking round outside for an hour and making pointless observational notes with GCSE physics teachers. It is wrong and you know it.
    Shaking a rainstick is not cultural development, scrawlling a 'menu' on a whiteboard is not teaching children to write , leaving children to mess in the water tray is not teaching science.
    EYFS has been the greatest of dumbing downs. Even if it is not true it surely means the death knell for extending the garbage into KS1.
    I am looking forward to all those advisors, course leaders, consultants and early year zealots back tracking pretending they never went along with nonsense.
    Now pass me the spoon and who would like their humble pie first?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

and for posters like SOAPy who thinks his school is typical of what is happening nationally...

3. Not forgetting all those insane notions I have read on here over the years. Looks like Msz you are going to have to reinvent yourself.

4. Msz

Certainly not SOAPy that's your field of expertise aren't you due for a new user name soon?

5. Actually, what you mention all has its place within early learning opportunities, as long as there is a point to it! If the children are practising their letters and sounds by writing a menu in the role-play area, there is loads of valid learning and development going on! If the children are shaking a rainstick whilst listening to rainforest tribal chants etc, then it is very much cultural development!
    Personally, I think activities like those mentioned above must continue, but I don't want to have to write a million observations, take photos from every angle, and use this 'evidence' to prove that I'm a good teacher!
    I'd love to see the profile disappear too; I find it so subjective and time-consuming and would thoroughly enjoy having a different way of assessing F2 children along the same lines as APP (which I use with my KS1 children, some of whom are of similar ability as some of my F2 children). ps I know there are overlaps between Y1 children and the EYFSP, and F2 children working at NC levels, before anyone tels me off over that one.
    It would be nice to streamline the EYFS and take out the parts that are of key importance to 4/5 year-olds, and devise an assessment system that makes sense, is still comprehensive, but less time-wasting.
    I wait with bated breath!

6. Msz

I think APP is going

7. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Fair comment Brainjim. In y1, we have a FS2 teacher who has "moved up" to show us the FS approach and she is still in shock- and don't we know it through her constant moaning- about the workload she has now. It seems that instead of turning up with a few ideas,but really letting the children lead her, the poor girl now has to actually plan, prepare, assess and address the learning needs of her class of children and come in each day with something for them to do, then she has to mark it, give the children feedback and then go home and think of something for them for the next day.
    Hope no GCSE physics teachers actually do read this.

8. Msz

I'm a reception teacher who has moved to Y2 and my workload even with a SAT year and no TA is nothing compared to teaching reception

9. It's a pity SOAPY chooses to comment on and criticise what he obviously has little uderstanding of. Maybe as Msz points out he only reflects EYFS at his school. As for APP, the sooner it is revised the better! (along with the FS Profile)

10. And.... FS teachers have to plan, prepare and assess more than most year grps, thank you!

11. The FS planning I have seen certainly make up in volume what it lacks in content.
    It includes what to put on a construction table, what to put in the sand, what to put in the water, what colour playdough, what equipment to put outside etc.. This isn't planning it is the organisation of resources. Lots of plans but very, very little teaching.
    Hopefully the EYFS gravy train is about to come of the rails.

12. Msz

Again you can't judge by your school SOAPy you need to get out and look at good examples

13. OK so reception teachers with the prize for the most planning, the most recorded observations and most assessments but what about teaching?

14. Msz

they do that in other schools too...it's why our children arrive in Y1 able to read and write and do maths to a high standard

15. Perhaps this shows how the EYFS framework, despite its excessive 'detail' and apparent nit-picking (I can't think of a written version of verbal diarrhoea - but you get the picture), is still open to interpretation by those using it, so that it takes on different guises in different settings. However, I have certainly never noticed teachers 'just walking about outside' in foundation stage. You will invariably find they have a purpose, if you but ask. [​IMG]
    I'm interested in the comment about Y1 because I supplied in a Y1 class all this week following the planning, which was based on worksheets cribbed from various books and websites. The children played with resources (in the name of transition) while I took them in small groups to do their worksheets, or for reading 1 to 1. The resources they played with consisted of a threading activity, a fine motor follow the dots, drawing around templates and a bit of construction, with one activity changed each day. These were only monitored by me from a distance (policed would be a better word). The worksheets were just procedural - bits of phonics, handwriting, rows of sums. Certainly nothing to compare with GCSE Physics. And nothing to compare with the range of provision in foundation.
    However, other Y1s I have supplied in have been much more busy and lively, taking on board transition in spirit as well as in word. EYFS is open to interpretation and some will follow the word, some the spirit. Following the spirit demands a lot more effort, planning and time than merely following the word.
    Hopefully a physics teacher would go out of their way to make their lessons interactive, hands on and engaging for the pupils. Well. that is actually what EYFS is all about - teaching delivered in a way thet makes it interesting and engaging for the pupils (it's just that 4/5 year olds aren't quite ready to master GCSE physics).

16. No but the physics teacher doesn't spend their day observing what the pupils do but instead teaches them. Neither does s/he send out the lab technician to wander round in the freezing cold and then make them put all the heavy equipment away.

17. Msz

and lots of reception teachers and TAs spend their days teaching and working with the children rather than following them around... as I say you need to get out more and stop believing everything you've been told.

18. Doesn't seem much point now if its days are numbered.

19. Msz

yes only 600+ days to go before it's replaced