1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goodbye to EYFS?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by giraffe77, Nov 12, 2010.

1. One of my SMT told me today that the EYFS might be on the way out in the future Government proposals for primary education, to be replaced by a more-formal approach to learning pre-Y1. Just wondering if anyone had anymore information on this; as a F2 teacher, I like to stay well-informed and I haven't read/heard this anywhere else.
    Thanks

teachgeorgie likes this.
  2. One of my SMT told me today that the EYFS might be on the way out in the future Government proposals for primary education, to be replaced by a more-formal approach to learning pre-Y1. Just wondering if anyone had anymore information on this; as a F2 teacher, I like to stay well-informed and I haven't read/heard this anywhere else.
    Thanks

3. sadika

sadika New commenter

Not heard anything but how typical would that be? - Just got going on free-flow etc and the wheel turns a full circle yet again!!!!

4. I hope so!

I don't know what it is but I really struggle with it; I really don't understand why... I guess some people just click with some things and not with others!

5. Also, I was at a Surestart children's centre on placement over the summer and the consultant teacher from the council did mention that it could be in the pipeline but didn't know much else

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

The EYFS got it wrong because it highjacked play. I've moaned enough about that and now it looks like we're going to have to moan about play itself being rejected.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Surely in a Surestart setting you make play your startin point?

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

starting

Is it the play-based you're not comfortable or, like me, the way play has been highjacked?

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

But you're a student - it's not meant to be easy!

10. I was only there for a summer placement.
    I understand the importance of play; I've done two year-long modules on children's play and the types of play etc, I just struggle with the EYFS in terms of actually soaking in the information and knowing it off the top of my head, kind of thing!

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Perhaps you have trouble with the clipboards! [​IMG]

12. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

Hi not sure if this is the same thing but my husband who is a parent governor got a newsletter yesterday from LA which had an article thanking the EYA for her presentation about EYFS and said '' the framework is no longer mandatory ,but children of this age group still have distinctive needs' ' Have i missed something ?
    jo

13. Is this true or just speculation.

14. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben New commenter

I was under the impression the schools minister, Sarah Teather had ordered a review of the EYFS to be carried out and we'll await the findings of this report as and when I guess.

15. I have heard that the outcome of the review could lead to a more "formal" situation. To simplify: we should teach as we feel is the best possible way for children to learn, progress, be happy and well balanced, confident individuals and as they are 4-5yr olds then play forms an important and crucial part of that.

16. PS. Have also been told that those carrying out the review have been surprised at the level of support for the current EYFS.

17. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We heard the present version will be replaced in 2012 with copies of new version in settings next year

18. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I have heard rattling and rumours.
    One rumour is that EYEFSP profile might be going.[​IMG]
    Also, the death of clipboards is in the air.........................................
    When you look in on the Every Child Matters website a sign pops up to say that this is not yet or no longer, government whatsdo. Or at least it did shortly after the Election.
    A new curriculum eh? Will we be reinventing the wheel yet again? What shape will it be this time? Maybe square, or triangular, we just don't know.
    I do know that the pressure to observe (photograph) children in their progress and play (intrusive) led to the Plymouth abuse scenario. That and OFSTED being obsessed with whatever current obsessions are politically prevalent and not doing a thorough and common sense job.
    Ah well. Ah me.

19. I will be glad if it requires slightly more-formal teaching in F2. I think the EYFS-style has suited some children, but not all, and as a fairly new KS1 (+F2) teacher, I can see that our children deserve to be taught what they 'need', which is not always the continuous provision approach. I find it an absolute nightmare to resource; I already spendat least 4 hours per week planning, and then to find resources etc on top of that (plus management roles, clubs, meetings etc), it is impossible to do to the best of my ability - very frustrating as a perfectionist!
    The problem I foresee with this is that I've only taught EYFS since being a KS1/FS teacher, so will need support in teaching reception new(old)-style....but with the national strategies finishing, and an end to consultants as such, will training be happening? More complication lies ahead, I imagine!

20. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm not a fan of EYFS and was one of the early signatories of the petition against it's introduction although my main objection is to the concept of a statutory curriculum for babies and todlers ... but I don't think EYFS can be held responsible for what is happening in some reception classes. I think the fault lies in part with LA advisors who make unrealistic and non statutory demands on teachers, in part with head teachers for not having understanding of EYFS and therefore not supporting staff against these demands and I think we must also take some of the blame for being so accepting of the additional workload in our desire to do the best for those in our care ... could you see our secondary colleagues standing by when asked to produce mountains of evidence?