1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goodbye TESS as we know it.

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Liviboy, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Liviboy

Liviboy Occasional commenter

So, after TESS becoming a shadow of its former self when the magazine changed. So too is Scotland losing more of its input on the TES website. It's amazing how much space is given to England and English issues, yet Scotland and Wales have one little section with only a couple of fora each!

I think it really is the true end of TESS now...

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

So what else should 'Scotland' and Wales have.
    Many of the forums cover all areas eg personal

3. Katie80

Katie80 New commenter

What about a Supply forum for Scotland? Supply teachers in Scotland don't have agencies, and most of the English Supply Forum issues relate to agencies. I know the Scotland Suppy forum didn't get much traffic, but I for one found it useful to have it there and checked it regularly.

4. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hi @Liviboy

The new forums are still a 'work in progress'. Most of the forums that you see are the ones that were popular on the old site. I'm sorry if you miss most of the forums that you were used to seeing. We needed to scale down the forums because the former platform was too difficult to navigate and some members complained about not being able to find the information that they needed. Once we generate a lot of activity on this site we can look at whether it will be necessary to create more forums, if there is demand for it.

We need to start small. The new platform allows us to add new forums as and when necessary.

Let's see what happens with the TESS based forums that we have here at the moment, and if there is sufficient demand we can look at introducing more in the future.

Hi @Katie80

Thank you for your suggestion. The group didn't attract much traffic but if there is demand for it then this idea would be something that I would like to consider for the future.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Considering there is only about 10 regular "Scottish" posters,it's probably best if everything it's more or less in the same place!

6. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Oh dear. Agree with what's been said to date. A moribund forum will become even more moribunder now we have these silly changes in place.

7. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I find this one much easier to navigate than the last version.

8. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

This is a classic case of 'use it or lose it'.

Scottish teachers have, in the main, been far too slow off the mark when it comes to taking the Scottish Education System to task over a number of issues. These include: the SQA - its lack of competence, integrity, openness and accountability; the destabilising effect of unwanted reforms such as CfE; the appalling treatment of Supply Teachers; the shrinking curriculum on the back of CfE and Faculties; the one-party state mentality of the SNP led Government that will shut down attempts to have pertinent educational issues brought into the public arena.

9. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

gnulinux - Scottish teachers are too overwhelmed with workload to take the system to task. You could argue that this might be deliberate...