1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goodbye Lenin

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sarahger, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Isn't there a list of possible essay questions? I remember seeing one when I was a language assistant, but it was for AQA. Which topics have have you treated with your group? I know the film quite well and the Y13 group did it when I was there, but I find it difficult to suggest anything without knowing which aspects are important...

2. I'm guessing that you maybe have last year's paper and the specimen but just in case you haven't here are the questions from those papers.

Welche Rolle spielt die Mutter in Alex? Leben, und wie zeigt der Film das?
    Welches Bild der DDR skizziert der Film? Vergleiche das mit dem Leben in Westdeutschland.
    Wie unterschiedlich reagieren Alex und Ariane auf die Rückkehr der Mutter aus dem Krankenhaus? Wie ist das zu erklären und wie denkst du darüber?

I do have an example essay from the WJEC Inset on one of the above questions if that helps?

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Here are AQA's questions from 2006 to 2008. Although not specific to Goodbye, Lenin!, they can certainly be used for that film. With AQA, the questions have to be generic.
    June 2006:
    EITHER (a) Welche Methoden benutzt der Regisseur des von Ihnen gewählten Films, um seine Ziele zu erreichen? Inwieweit finden Sie seine Methoden erfolgreich?
    OR (b) Inwiefern wird die Hauptfigur des von Ihnen gewählten Films von der Gesellschaft beeinflusst?
    June 2007:
    EITHER (a) Inwieweit spielt die Hauptfigur des von Ihnen gewählten Films eine bedeutende Rolle?
    OR (b) Wie schildert der Regisseur des von Ihnen gewählten Films die deutsche Gesellschaft? Wie überzeugend ist diese Schilderung?
    June 2008:
    EITHER (a) Inwieweit gelingt es dem Regisseur des von Ihnen gewählten Films, einen erfolgreichen Film zu drehen?
    OR (b) Inwieweit befindet sich die Hauptfigur in dem von Ihnen gewählten Filmim Konflikt mit der Gesellschaft?

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Be careful, I don't think you'll be able to take much of the AQA advice given here into account. With AQA there is no set text/film-maker etc, so consequently the questions are very wide. If I'm not mistaken, with the Welsh board you're with, there is a set text, therefore I'd expect the essay questions to be very specific. The best you can do is probably order last year's past paper and the specimen paper (can you download them?) in order to have an idea of the sort of question they'll ask.

5. Thanks so much people.
    Yes, the WJEC is very specific questionwise, I know. I have the previous essay questions, however, last year was the 1st year this was on the paper so there's not so much to go on.
    A copy of the sample essay would be fantastic, thank you. My email is siannyhop@yahoo.com

6. I've just emailed you the sample essay and some feedback from the Inset - i hope they help :)

7. Just found the forum on TES. Could you please e-mail me the example essay from the WJEC inset on *Goodbye Lenin"? Is there one on "The Edukators" too, by any chance? Many thanks.

8. I forgot! (for sample WJEC essay)e-mail address is pedelty@builth-hs.powys.sch.uk

9. You have mail :)