1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Goodbye all.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Geoff Thomas, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I've decided to give this forum a rest.

I have to say that I had genuinely not realised the depth of hatred and ignorance of the political far right which is manifest here every day.

When you reach the point that people like Clarke and Heseltine and Major are rational, normal human beings, then you have to realise that the game is up, the fascists have won, and there are better things to do. Like arranging my emigration.

2. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Oh dear...I have found this forum to be a source of support and kindness.

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

@Geoff Thomas ...but you'll be missed. Heaven knows we need the voices raised in defence of the people so affected by austerity. Please reconsider.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Please don't go.

JL48, vannie, Laphroig and 5 others like this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Are you aware that much of the hate and bile comes from "plants", such as those paid for by the Tories and Vladimir Putin. Paid to go on forums, facebook etc all over the world to stir up hatred and twist people to their point of view. Despite all the naysayers, they got Trump elected and might get him a second term. They are in favour of Farage and Boris and all the right-wing hate. Arron Banks probably used them in the referendum that was so "democratic". There are loads of them that have been on here for years, they either give up a username and get another, or get banned and come back with another. There are countless "members" who have supposedly been so for years, make no posts, then suddenly start with fully fledged vitriol and bile. There was an article in the Guardian today about them planting false stories to influence. Just do the ignore thing. I do, its quite cathartic seeing that "ignored member" has made a post.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If that is a reason for no longer posting, then by no longer posting you are ensuring an over proportionate representation of such voices that you find objectionable, because you will have removed your own voice which presumably you agree with..
    This is why flouncing is never rational.

On another note, also bear in mind why people may post on here. If some voices are manifest every day and most of the day, then they clearly are people that lead an otherwise empty life. In which case you ought to feel pity rather than aversion.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You are right. I opted out without saying Goodbye for the same reasons but have looked in from time to time to see if it gets my interest again. This is the first post I've felt compelled to reply to in over a month. Best wishes to you.

JL48, agathamorse, nomad and 8 others like this.
  8. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Don't go. Come back. I'll put the kettle on.

9. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

It’s sad to see another ‘normal’ poster go.

We’ve already lost too many.
    Reconsider

10. Jude Fawley

I'd say politics is a self-generating mechanism. It ain't worth a fig!

11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

12. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I have come to believe that TES actively seeks such a forum, by allowing those posts to stand and by cutting posts and banning posters which challenge them and call out their methods.

I've posted very infrequently over recent years but have been browsing more these past few weeks as I consider a return to the classroom. What I see here is depressing and worrying. It's not the forum it used to be - but then Britain is not the society it was. I left the UK years ago, this forum has reminded me why I wouldn't go back.

13. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Yes, there's one recently active poster of this category merrily posting away now.

14. Jude Fawley

TES Personal is just bubblegum for the mind.

TCSC47, agathamorse and nomad like this.
  15. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Sorry to see you go. Good luck with how things are in RL.

anotherauntsally and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

There are other things to post about other than politics but since personal became the new opinion where every thread becomes political the alternatives to political threads are becoming rare here, its a shame.

17. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

If you are a member of a club or organisation and you decided you didn't like it anymore, you would just leave. Why stand on a table and call everybody names? By doing so, do you think anyone would think more highly of you?

nomad likes this.
  18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Reconsider Geoff. Having met you I think I am allowed to call you by your first name.:):D

19. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

Call it a kind of exit interview. Why bother with those? If you're leaving, just go

nomad likes this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter