1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good ways of assessing in plenary with children?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pocoyo, May 22, 2011.

1. I like to know how the children have found the activity. I quite often find myself saying...if you found it easy give me thumbs up or if you found it tricky give me thumbs down or sideways thumbs if you're not sure. I find it uncomfortable saying the word easy as i feel this might make the other children feel worried if they found it hard. I was wondering if there is a simple and effective way of asking this question? :0)

Thank you xxx

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have year 6, this might not work with younger ones.

I use: If you think "I have no idea what you are on about Miss. I've tried all lesson, but haven't the faintest clue and NEEEEED your help urgently tomorrow" then show me thumbs down, draw a sad face, do a red traffic light, whatever.
    If you think " I think I've got it, but I'd like some more practice please." Then do a straight face, etc.
    If you are thinking " I can't believe you made me do that, it was sooooo easy I could have done it in my sleep 10 years ago while standing on my head," then do a green traffic light, etc.

They love my over-dramatic voices and facial expressions as I tell them the criteria, though they know which colour/face/thumbs to do before I say it these days.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Love it minnieminx!

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I do the faces too when I remember. Just remember to specify what size you want them. I used to get faces filling half an A4 page... lol!!