1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

good warm ups for badminton?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by steve68, Oct 5, 2007.

1. I have 30 yr 8 students for badminton in a sports hall that has 4 courts. I'm looking for active warm ups that are easy to deliver and understand, that are not just hitting a shuttle back and forward across a net. Anybody got any ideas?

2. I have 30 yr 8 students for badminton in a sports hall that has 4 courts. I'm looking for active warm ups that are easy to deliver and understand, that are not just hitting a shuttle back and forward across a net. Anybody got any ideas?

3. I'm sure there is one where you have to sidestep around the lines of the court, then across it and as you go across the court you hit the shuttle back over the net... guess there would have to be a train of children each side (Its vague as I remember it from badminton coaching I received)

Sounds complicated but perhaps it could be tweaked? Hehe or disgarded.

4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

5. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Split pupils up into 2 teams, one team on each side of net. Pupils can move around all courts on their side of the net. throw shuttles into the courts, if pupils see a shuttle they have to pick it up and throw it to the other side. aim is to get rid of al the shuttles from your side of the court. progress to using racquets.

6. Tried the shuttles throwing game this morning with a yr7 short tennis group. I called it "clear the decks".
    Lots of movement, forwards sideways, backwards on the court, bending down, twisting to throw, heavy breathing at the end. Worked a treat. Cheers for the idea. Will use this again.

7. That's a lot of children for a 4 court hall. I'm working with a group of 22 and that's not easy. I suggest some routines that are quite compact and space-efficient. Try the following: spread the children out to about 6 feet apart. They use their rackets for this exercise. Ask them to imagine they are standing at the centre of a large clock face looking toward 12oclock. You then call-out each hour in sequence around the clock from 1-12. Starting with their feet apart they make a two footed jump toward 1oclock shadowing a forehand shot then jump two footed back to their start point. This process is repeated for each hour in turn, ie 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 (the only exception being 6 and 12oclock where the player jumps straight up for an overhead forehand). For a right handed player the hours from 1-5 are played as a series of forehand shots. The hours from 7-9 are played as round-the-head forehand shots and for 10 and 11oclock the player shadows a backhand return, finishing with a jump shot at 12oclock. This is very good exercise for developing strong off-base movement and practices many of the shots familiar to any doubles player. I believe this exercise combined with fast-feet routines will help young players gain speed, balance and confidence in their movement,

8. basic warm is to get them on either side of the net and move to the lines that you call out, or an instruction you shout out, like out at the back,out at the side, so they get to know the court, and the way the scoring works with the lines (always confusing for me anyway)

9. im doing this with my ACS group that im coaching tomorrow... hopefully shold be a good laugh for them... thanks for the warm-up!! :D