1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good war film

Discussion in 'English' started by anteater, Feb 13, 2012.

1. anteater

anteater New commenter

Not exactly English...but I'm sure there is plenty of film knowledge on here!
    I'm looking after a group of Y9s (those who haven't signed up for a history trip to the Imperial War Museum on trips day - the idea is to keep the day of those in school on the same theme as the majority who are on the trip).
    I'm going to look at some war poetry with them, and borrow as many war books as the school library can furnish me with so they can research and produce fact sheets. For the afternoon I'd quite like to show them a decent film - but which one? I've got worthy things that wouldn't be appreciated by these Y9s (such as "All Quiet on the Western Front"), and excellent war films that have the wrong certificate. I don't want to show them something just for the sake of it though - does anyone know of a thought provoking film that might actually enrich them? "The boy in the striped pyjamas" might fit the bill, but I know some of them will have seen it in English last year.

2. 'Tora, Tora, Tora' is an accurate account of the Pearl Harbour attack which treats both sides as human and has great action scenes. The few seconds devoted to Doris Miller, who didn't get a medal because he was black, is worth looking out for.

3. lizzielh

lizzielh New commenter

The Pianist - true account of Poland under German occupation. Very hard hitting and brilliantly portrayed.

4. anteater

anteater New commenter

But unfortunately a 15 cert and lasts two and a half hours!
    Cert for Tora Tora Tora is ok but also very long. Ideally it needs to fit into an afternoon session of two hours.
    So far I'm looking at "Valkyrie" which is exactly that long, and "Graveyard of the Fireflies", which I have not seen, but my daughter assures me that it will make even the hardest Y9 who didn't go on the trip cry...sounds like a challenge!

5. maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon New commenter

Gallipoli starring Mel Gibson is pg and less than 2 hours long. I remember seeing it years ago (it was made in the 80s) and liking it. But I don't remember it that well. It's about the 1st world war and australian soldiers going to fight.

6. It's a Beautiful Life is supposed to be really good!
    I don't think there is a film of Maus, but maybe you could use it in your lesson anyways. Even at university we loved this so I imagine it would go down really well.

7. The last series of Blackadder. :)