1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good tomato based sauce for pasta.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by sep2, Aug 27, 2011.

1. sep2

sep2 New commenter

I much prefer to cook from scratch but one thing I haven't perfected is a good old tomato sauce for bolognaise/lasagne etc.
    I have tried various recipes but none seem to taste great so I often cheat and use a Dolmio jar. Can anyone suggest one please (preferably without celery as I can't stand the stuff [​IMG]) I grow a lot of fresh herbs in the garden so I have fresh and dried available if that makes a difference.
    Thanks in advance.

2. This one is really nice: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/the-quickest-tomato-sauce. I don't eat meat but I'm sure you could add mince to this. Good luck!

3. Look up a Pomodoro - no celery and it is great on its own.
    You can add all sorts to it!

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I often whizz one up using garlic and onion just softened in olive oil, then add a splash of white wine, tin of chopped tomatoes, fresh chopped herbs (parley, thyme and basil), squeeze of tomato puree, dash of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Simmer together for about 15 mins then whizz until smooth with a stick blender!
    This is great as it is. I wouldn't bother making this first to then make bolognese, but all these ingredients (except red not white wine and half a bottle not a splash!) would go into my bolognese to be cooked slowly together, either in the simmering oven of Aga or a slow cooker.

5. If you have an Aga as well as an induction hob Belle, I am definitely moving in!

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I do very much the same as Belle - I add some (home!) dried oregano as well.
    Only half a bottle, Belle? [​IMG]

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I'll let you guess where the other half goes [​IMG]

8. sep2

sep2 New commenter

Thank you for that. I have tried this recipe but I personally didn't like it. It was quick and easy but not great on the taste front IMO (probably me doing something wrong though [​IMG]). Thank you though.

9. sep2

sep2 New commenter

Thank you Belle. I shall have to try this next week. Probably more my type of sauce with onions and Garlic and the wine sounds nice :) Will give it a try.

Thanks for all the replies.

10. Just buy passatta = it's what the italians use, is cheap and versatile.

11. BelleDuJour

Anytime Pobble. Youare most welcome!!
    I love my Aga.....just love it!

12. BelleDuJour

13. I loved the one we had in a tied cottage when I was about 8. It was in what had been the old bakehouse - and enormous thing that heated the whole house with ease.
    It took me ages to work out how to warm things, raise bread etc without the little warming oven. I still find myself looking at my normal cooker, puzzled and disappointed!
    Should I ever win the lottery I will buy a house that will house one! If we could persuade the landlady to put one in we would have no kitchen left over!

14. BelleDuJour

Yes, it is lovely Pobble but, without sounding boastful, I think you really do need to know how to cook to use one and to love it.
    There's no temperature control as such so you need to really 'feel' your way around food to know how to get the best from an Aga.
    The cats love it too!

15. For a spicy tomato sauce which I used for prawns and pasta...would work with chicken too
    4 cloves of garlic
    1 glass of white wine
    1 tablespoon of marjoram
    1 whole chilli chopped
    2 tins of tomatoes
    a good twist of salt and black pepper
    a tiny pinch of sugar
    a dash of cream if not watching weight otherwise I use milk (seems to stop the toms being acidic?)
    2 large tablespoons of parmesan cheese
    Cook the garlic in oil very gently then add chilli, add wine and marjoram, cook for a few minutes and then add tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper then the milk or cream. Cook for a minimum of half an hour very very gently. Add a bit more milk or water if it starts getting too thick. Then add prawns and cheese and heat through. Stir into a pan of cooked pasta.

For tomato sauce
    1 onion chopped
    4-5 cloves of garlic
    2 tins of tomatoes
    1 tablespoon of dried thyme
    1 tablespoon of dried basil
    pinch of sugar and a dash of milk
    good twist of salt and pepper
    2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese
    cook the onions and garlic in a little oil, add tomatoes and herbs, sugar and milk, cook for a minimum of half an hour (I think the flavour improves with long cooking) then add parmesan. Heat through. If I was making bol sauce using mince I would add one of those beef knorr stock pots and a dash of red wine. They have brought out another one which is a very rich beef stock.

16. I use garlic, celery(but you could leave it out) carrot and onion and whizz in a food processor. Gently fry in olive oil and add passata, oregano and fennel. Take off the heat and stir in fresh basil, garnish with parmesan - delicious!

17. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I make a very simple tomato-based sauce for pasta by softening onions and garlic in a saute pan with olive oil, salt and pepper. Then I add a good sqeeze of tomato purée, add a can of good quality chopped tomatoes and about 150mls of vegetable stock. Then simmer rapidly until reduced. I add fresh chopped parsley and oregano, plus a grating of fresh nutmeg. Finish with a spoonful of créme fráiche to make a slightly creamy sauce.
    I variably add fresh chilli/chilli flakes, sometimes I add olives for a saltiness. It's also delicious if you add roasted red and orange peppers too; roast until blackened over a bare flame on the hob, put into a bowl and cover with cling film until cooled enough to handle, then remove the skin, slice and add to the sauce. Yummmmm.

18. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Shop-bought sauces contain lots of sugar and salt - maybe, in addition to everything else that has been mentioned you need to adjust your seasoning - or add more sugar, if your tomato sauce is too acidic.
    MM

19. sep2

sep2 New commenter

Some interesting recipes. I shall have a play. You are probably correct about the salt and sugar, will try adding more as I tend to not cook with salt really.

Thanks again :)