1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good tearooms to visit in the hols

Discussion in 'Personal' started by byjingo, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Re Polly Tea Rooms ... I think they are also now in Salisbury and Wilton.

Another one of note is the tea room (can't recall the name) at the top of Gold Hill in Shaftesbury. You can sit outside and admire the old cottages lining the steep street - such a classic English scene, with the beautiful Dorset countryside in the background. We took our daughter there when she was little and she loved walking up and down the hill (I was knackered as it is very steep)! It is famous for the Hovis ads and also the film Far From the Madding Crowd (where Sgt Troy rides up the hill with his soldiers). Can't remember the quality of the food, but the setting is wonderful.

2. Oooh, I haven't been there for ages. I will drag my Mum there when I go down to Cornwall at half term. Thanks for the reminder[​IMG]

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

The Corn Dolly in South Molton is good (though it used to be better!), also the tea rooms at Docton Mill near Hartland can be recommended highly.
    Anywhere particular in N Devon?

4. The Polly in Marlborough has been taken over by someone new I think. The cakes aren't as good anymore. Shame. I worked there as a teenager and loved it.

5. The cakes aren't as good anymore.

I was there a few weeks ago and the coffee cake was divine!

6. If in Ilkley, go to Betty's. Pricy but nicey! For tea with a view, walk up to the White Wells on Ilkley Moor and have a lovely cheap cup of tea at the picnic tables outside. There is a beautiful view across Wharfedale for you to peruse as you sip! Enjoy the Easter holidays, everyone.

7. Thought I might bump this thread as we're approaching another holiday!

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

The Chewton Glen Hotel in the New Forest does a wonderful champagne afternoon tea, as does The Captain's Club in Christchurch, for those who like it a little more contemporary [​IMG]

9. I thought you were recommending a tea room in New Zealand for a moment, Belle. I thought 'I've only got a week for half term!'

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

See you there next Tuesday Cosmos!
    There's also a Polly Tea Rooms in Salisbury.

11. Another favourite tea room of ours is the NT one by Corfe Castle. Spectacular setting!