1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good tearooms to visit in the hols

Discussion in 'Personal' started by byjingo, Mar 25, 2012.

1. byjingo

byjingo New commenter

It is years since I posted on here so I hope I am posting in the correct forum. I was in a tearoom in Hythe in Kent this weekend, the name of which I have forgotten and I wondered if others had a favourite watering hole.
    I am off to Cornwall next week and my first port of call will be to the ice cream parlour in Porthleven in the far reaches of the county called Naughtie but Ice. It is the location as much as anything, right on the harbour.
    My other favourite is in Truro and is called Charlotte's tearooms. It's like taking a step back in time.
    I hope I am not breaching any rules by using names, but I am sure my post will be removed if that is the case.
    Happy tea sipping in the holidays, folks.

2. That does it, I'm going to Cornwall next week ! Tearooms are the best places to spend time.
    The Mount, just outside Taunton (champagne with your sarnies) Polly in Marlborough, lots of interesting cakes. Charlton House Hotel, Shepton Mallet does spelt sanwiches for coeliacs.
    Oh and cream teas at the Peninsula Hotel, Hong Kong of course (ded posh me. Mind you don't fall over in the think carpet and browse the diamond jewellery if you are kept waiting !)

3. Another. The Georgian House tearooms in Topsham next to Exeter. Good place for a day visit.

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i caught this thread title out of the corner of my eye and read it as 'good bathrooms to visit'. any ideas on that one?

5. I often judge a hotel/restaurant/pub by the quality of their hand wash and mosituriser - I should compile a top ten!

6. If visiting Yorkshire, there is of course Betty's in Harrogate and York. A little closer to home for me is The Bridge Tea Room in Bradford on Avon ... they've won some awards I think and are located in a wonderfully, wonky old building. There's also Sally Lunns in Bath (reputedly the oldest house in Bath; they have a mini museum in the cellars showing the original Georgian kitchens and the old medieval road levels).

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The Apple Pie House in Ambleside-if you can avoid the queues!

8. Polly Tea Rooms in Marlborough - cakes to die for!

9. The Hamptons Deli in Chipping Sodbury - AMAZING!

10. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Huffkins of Burford and Witney.
    De Grey's of Ludlow.
    Peacock's of Ely.

11. Any good tearooms in North Devon?

12. Or any good tearooms etc in North Kent preferably with good access for a disabled mother too!
    BW

13. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I live about 20 mins from Windsor and sometimes we just go out for a drive around Runnymead and Windsor park.
    A couple of months ago ,it was a freezing cold day but we parked over the bridge in Eton and walked across and came to an oasis of chocolate:
    http://chocolatetheatrecafebar.com/
    Luckily,it wasn't a mirage and I think I had a very decadent cup of white hot chocolate with mint and it was made out of real chocolate.
    To go with it we shared a mangoy chocolatey square that was so rich, it probably knocked at least 5 years of my life off. Worth it though.

14. moonpenny

Here is the hot chocolate menu:
    Hot Chocolates
    "Windsor's finest patisserie."

Regular hot chocolate £2.55

Double strength hot chocolate £2.85

Nougat hot chocolate £2.85

White nougat hot chocolate £3.05

Peppermint hot chocolate £2.85

White peppermint hot chocolate £3.05

White hot chocolate £2.85

White amaretto hot chocolate £3.05

Chilli hot chocolate £2.60

Tiny extra thick Italian hot chocolate £2.75

Moccachino (coffee and chocolate) £2.85

White Moccachino (coffee and White chocolate) £3.05

Peanut butter hot chocolate £2.85

Penachino

Moccachino with whipped cream and chocolate flakes £3.05

White penachino

White moccachino with whipped cream and chocolate flakes £2.90

Viennese hot chocolate

Standard hot chocolate with whipped cream and cinnamon £2.90

American hot chocolate

Hot chocolate with marshmallows £2.85

Penultimate hot chocolate

Hot chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate flakes £3.40

Ultimate white

White peppermint hot chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate flakes £3.40

Ultimate hot chocolate

Double strength hot chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate flakes £3.55

Liqueur hot chocolates (must be over 18)

Irish Kiss hot chocolate

Hot chocolate with Baileys and cream £3.95

Chocolate Cafe Royal

Hot chocolate, coffee and Tia Maria £3.95

Chocolate Disaronno

Hot chocolate with Amaretto £3.95

15. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Sounds great Moonpenny. Next time I am down that way, I will certainly check it out!

16. moonpenny

17. Seconded!

18. I agree with you on The Bridge Tea Room in BOA. Fantastic cakes and lovely setting. My favourite Cornish tearoom is the National Trust one at Cotehele. There is also a great one at Thurlestone in Devon, right by the beach but I can't remember its name.

19. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

The Butterfly and The Pig Tea Rooms in Glasgow for a lovely afternoon tea with old fashioned vintage bone china cups. Afternoon tea can be served with prosecco as well. Not very near where OP was looking but for anyone else heading up to Scotland or living not too far away.
    Betty's tea shops have spread to some gardens called Harlow Carr near Harrogate and Ilkley.

20. Brunettegirl

Brunettegirl Occasional commenter

Grantchester. Near Cambridge. The Orchards. Perfect. [​IMG]