1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good teaching recruitment agencies?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by studentteacha, Jul 6, 2017.

1. studentteacha

studentteacha New commenter

Hi,

I've just completed my English degree and I would like to start a PGCE course in 2018. So, I'm currently looking for a TA position. I've never signed up to teacher recruitment agencies before and I decided to register with 3. They've all invited me in for an interview. I'm a little sceptical because I've read some really bad reviews and I'm not comfortable. What are the tell-tale signs of a bad agency? Can any one recommend any GOOD agencies in London? I don't want to be duped into paying for DBS and end up with no work whatsoever. Weirdly enough, one of these agencies have asked me to pay as soon as I turn up? Is this normal..

Do we HAVE to sign up with an agency in order to secure a TA secondary position? Can I approach a school directly?

2. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

No you don't 'have' to sign up with an agency. I have seen Graduate Teaching Assistant roles which are on temporary contract. In fact there are now a lot of fixed term jobs being advertised on the council's educational jobs section.

Agencies are ok- they can find you short stints of work. I recommend Monarch Recruitment, Edustaff, Reed, Hays.

studentteacha likes this.