1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good supply agencies West Yorkshire

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by TeacherNic, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Hi

I'm moving to Huddersfield and wondered if anyone could tell me of any good supply agencies in the area. I'm willing to drive anywhere in Kirklees, Calderdale, South Leeds and Bradford. I've heard Supply Desk, Celsian and Teachers UK are ok but has anyone had personal experience with any of them? Or know of any others?
    Thanks in advance

2. Hi

I'm moving to Huddersfield and wondered if anyone could tell me of any good supply agencies in the area. I'm willing to drive anywhere in Kirklees, Calderdale, South Leeds and Bradford. I've heard Supply Desk, Celsian and Teachers UK are ok but has anyone had personal experience with any of them? Or know of any others?
    Thanks in advance

3. I'm also interested in decent supply agencies in West Yorkshire, specifically around Wakefield/Castleford/Pontefract, even as far as Barnsley and Leeds. Not sure if Wakefield LEA or Leeds have their own supply list (like East Riding does) but I would certainly appreciate some recommendations.

4. Beware Celsian.
    They agreed a rate with me on joining up and subsequently reduced it by £20 -after I'd done the job.
    I queried it with them and their reply was that the school would pay no more, I contacted the school and they were furious-Celsian had not reduced the rate for the school-so was squeezing them as well as me.
    If you go ahead with this outfit-dont leave your house without making sure what rate they are paying today.
    There are no "good" agencies.
    Thanks to the aforementioned parasites, I was spurred into working direct for schools.
    Escape the agency clutches.

5. Supply Desk are good.

6. Thanks for the info. I've heard other bad things about Celsian so will give them a miss. Already registered with Supply Desk but for a different area.
    Will look into working for the schools direct. I've emailed Wakefield Council to ask them about their supply teaching arrangements.
    I just hope I can get a bit of work [​IMG]

7. I would avoid protocol.
    I worked for them as a CS inbefore I started my PGCE and they were really good. Went back to sign up with the Leeds branch a few weeks ago and even though I have now completed a PGCE they tried to drop my daily rate by £20 a day and didn't follow up on any of the admin links they promised to send me which needed completing before I could start working for them again. They also showed me in for my appointment and then left me waiting for over 30 mins before they saw me! They seemed highly unprofessional and really rubbish. I wouldn't waste the CRB fee on them.

8. If you'd consider working for HMPS Wetherby and New Hall are looking for Sessional Tutors. You'd need to ring the prision direct for an app as I don't think these positions are being advertised at the mo.

9. Why?? [​IMG]
    I'm signed up with Protocol and Teaching Personnel (both Leeds-based).
    I was able to pay for the CRB once: I paid Protocol and then Teaching Personnel did smthg that meant they could just access that CRB instead of me having a whole new one for them. Which was good!
    I explained to both agencies that I'm on public transport and live in a rural area. Teaching Personnel got me a 3 week gig at a school local enough to get the bus to. All I've had from Protocol are stupid phonecalls at 8.30am asking if I can be 10 miles away in 10 minutes!
    Nice staff at both agencies, though.

10. Avoid Protocol like the plague. They set me up with an interview at a school and got the time wrong, so I got to there too late, and then had the gall to try to charge me £70 as an 'arrangement fee'.

11. HI,

how do I find out about HMPS vacancies? Are there any other organisations I can look to find work in?

Thanks

(I'm moving to wakefield in July)

12. historygrump

historygrump Occasional commenter Forum guide

look at the Blue Octopus site or Manchester City College vacancy site (they seem to have the contracts for education work in prisons)