1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good size for a baby blanket

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by dilly_84, Jan 19, 2011.

1. dilly_84

dilly_84 New commenter

Morning ladies
    It feels strange posting on here as I'm only 16 weeks but I need the knowledge of you lovely lot.
    I make patchwork quilts as a hobby (yep, I'm actually a granny in a 26 year olds body) and I would like to make a quilt for LO when he/she arrives. However I have no clue how big to make it! I've only ever made double/king size quilts for people so I'm at a loss.
    So, this may be a stupid question, but is there a good size for a blanket? Can a blanket ever be too big/small within reason. Also I was going to make it quite lightweight as we can always layer up with 'normal' blankets if it gets chilly, is this OK? (Baby is due in July)
    Apologies for my ignorance. Worryingly I genuinely don't know a thing about babies...*pushes panic to back of mind*
    Many thanks [​IMG]
    Dilly x

2. Hi, I made a patchwork blanket for my baby, it was my first sewing project so went into my local sewing shop to ask for advice, I bought pre cut med sized squares and was advised to do 7x9 squares. This turned out to be a good size and is light weight (not large enough to have to double over)

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

2 of my friends made a lightweight quilt for my son as a present, and it fits in the cot perfectly. It was a bit big to use when he was a newborn, but it has been great since he's got older.