1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

good schools and bad schools

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by the hippo, Feb 10, 2011.

1. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Okay, I would say that a poor salary, rubbish accommodation, rude children, inadequate facilities, limited (or non-existent) resources and a useless SMT all add up to a "bad" school. On the other hand, a generous salary, good accommodation, pleasant children, excellent facilities, good teaching resources and an effective SMT add up to a "good" school. Of course, it is not always quite as clear cut as that. Yes, personalities do come into it. Teachers are human, aren't they?

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Hmm, not sure I fully agree with that.[​IMG]
    Anyhow, on the question in hand, Good [​IMG]schools.
    This is very subjective, but in general terms it comes down to ownership in my opinion. Nothing is black and white and so I prefer to grade schools from top to 4th tier (with there being fair arguments to suggests there's a few 5th / 6th tier schools out there somewhere)
    Some owners see their core purpose as being profit and are short sighted enough to not understand that higher profits require investment in staff and resources. These are 3rd / 4th tier schools.
    Some owners see the need for investment and spend money on infrastructure and staff, but still hold profit as the core goal. These tend to be 2nd/3rd tier schools.
    Some owners are more altruistic and see quality of education as the mission and invest all profits back into the school, perhaps taking a <u>small</u> cut for themselves. These are top tier / 2nd tier schools.
    Some schools don't have an owner and are run as non profit making schools, with a Board of governors. These range from top to 4th tier schools, depending on the Board of Governors.
    Schools in Nigeria, for example, will claim non profit status yet strangely significant amounts of school funds disappear into the pockets of Board members (I know a few but can't name them). 3rd/4th tier. (One British curriculum school in Nigeria that I know could be classed as a 5th / 6th tier if the rumours are anything to go by, but that is a privately owned school)
    Where the Board of Governors are replaced every so often, money is spent on resources and staff and the Board don't interfere, these schools tend to be top / 2nd tier schools.
    However, even the best schools make mistakes with recruitment and a demon headteacher can make a top tier seem like a 4th tier. On the other hand, some expat teachers are lazy good for nothings and moan about everything, making perfectly decent heads out to be awful, but in reality are pretty good at what they do; making a school to be the best it can be for the education of the students. ISR web pages are full of the moans from these dubious teachers (although there's plenty of accurate reporting about bad schools there too).
    That's my reading of the situation. [​IMG] I've been around a bit have have worked in what I would consider top to 3rd tier schools; currently 2nd tier (?) and happy.

3. You might like to consider 'good' or 'bad' places, too.
    If Eton was in Nigeria, from what I have read on these threads, I would still give it a miss.

4. <font size="3">Thanks Guys, </font><font size="3">I&rsquo;m really happy with such detailed responses!</font><font size="3">I am currently trying to assess where a school I have interviewed with would be on your tier system.</font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">I&rsquo;ll keep listening out for more info!</font><font size="3">Alex </font>