1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good salary for SE Asia ...20+ years experience

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by hairdo, Mar 5, 2019.

1. hairdo

hairdo Occasional commenter

What is a decent salary for top of the scale teacher, please? US$30 ,$40, $50 ? More? Considering options. Don't want to be underpaid or greedy.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

all of those are possible, plus a lot higher. it really will depend on which country you go to. South East Asia is a very very large area.

any decent school will have a published salary scale (forget about negotiating) , and the vast majority will have maximum entry levels, regardless of experience. a lot of schools will count international experience over number of teaching years not overseas. Join Search Associates as soon as you can as it has a very handy database with all this information on it, and will tell you the starting point, and what i found more useful, "savings potential".

i have also found that IB schools seem to pay more than British schools. but thats just a personal observation.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  3. hairdo

hairdo Occasional commenter

Thanks. Please would you clarify the difference between IB schools and British Schools - some British schools do IB

4. dumbbells66

The ones that follow the british curriculum

5. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

IB PYP, IB MYP, IB DP would generally be considered an IB school. iGCSE + IB (DP) would likely be a British school.

For 20+ years you could get $70k+, (even at some British schools!) and some schools go much higher, but as @dumbbells66 points out, schools often have maximum entry levels.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

In Shanghai the maximum you can be paid is 395000rmb gross in the 25%tax band, so aprox 35000rmb in you hand or 3950GBP. On top of that you will be paid 9-12500rmb a month tax free rent allowance depending on your school or even offered free accommodation. Utility bills you have to pay yourself. Plus usual benefits flights and medical insurance.

Be aware tax changes in 2022 will change 150000rmb tax free accommodation allowance to 18000rmb, so 40000rmb extra tax to pay. Also tax free Education for children ends and 30% tax could be payable on free school places for staff children.

7. aussie_teacher_nt

aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

I'd say offhand that Hong Kong (net program) and Singapore would be the highest paid in Asia if that is your main focus for relocating.

8. dumbbells66

strange, because a very large school in Shanghai is paying this "The salary paid depends on the teacher's degree, certification, and years of experience, ranging from ¥286,750 to ¥560,837."

all that took was a simple google search

9. february31st

When your monthly salary exceeds 39500rmb a month (475000rmb/year gross) the tax band moves from 25% to 30%, so 560000rmb does not earn you much more due to the additional 5% tax. After 560000rmb you move into the 35% tax band. I know of no school in Shanghai paying a standard classroom teacher more then 475000rmb without a large addition for responsibility, I would say 286,750rmb is the norm now. A school offering 560K is one thing but to actually find someone receiving that figure is the same as stepping in some unicorn poo as you walk down the street.

About 10 years ago for me to take home 2500GBP a month I was paid a salary that gave me 30000rmb into my bank account, today that would be 23000rmb/month or the 286750rmb as dumbbell mentioned. In the last 5-6 years salaries have dropped around 20-25% due to the change of RMB/GBP/USD exchange rates. If you want to know why there are so many South African teachers working in China just check how many Rand/RMB you get.

The average salary I have seen offered to a member of staff with 7-9yrs experience at a rent-a-name school is 28000rmb before tax or the magic 2500GBP/month I mentioned earlier.

A realistic figure for a top of the range classroom teacher would be 420000-475000rmb/year but I have seen 320000-360000rmb as the normal entry point for very experienced teachers.

10. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Do these changes only affect Shanghai or all of China?

11. february31st

By the letter of the law it should be all China, but we do know that each province has its own interpretations of the law. Its a lot harder to attract foreign teachers to the tier 2 and 3 regions so these might take a couple of years to fully implement the new regulations.

12. Barkham1

Barkham1 New commenter

Anyone know what the wage is for 20+ year experience teacher in Jakarta?

13. dumbbells66

probably the same as someone with 8 years experience. the vast majority of international schools will have maximum starting points

14. Barkham1

Barkham1 New commenter

What is that please in GBP? I work in a school with its own salary scale and have no idea what they might offer.

15. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

You should be looking at joining Search Associates. Their data is usually fairly up to date and accurate. Some of the better, more established not for profit international schools have scales that reward up to 15-20 years (although as dumbbells66 states there may be a maximum entry level). Others (perhaps less well established) may have 8-10 years as the top of their scale in terms of experience. If a school does not have a published salary scale or are cagey about discussing such things this CAN be a sign that they are not so reputable. You don’t want to join a school and find out that there are teachers doing the same job as you, with less experience but for more money. That does happen. It’s supply and demand that dictates salaries/ packages in the lesser schools. Also, what you will cost them is a consideration... a single teacher vs one with a family and trailing spouse... that can be an easy decision for even the very best schools out there!

16. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

It would depend on the school I imagine, but around $70k net + housing would be attainable in a couple of them.

17. Barkham1

Barkham1 New commenter

Any knowledge of the British place and their package? Would that be one of the higher ones?

18. GreenGlover

GreenGlover New commenter

A good school would expect someone with 20+ years to be looking for a post with some form of responsibility. Looking for a mere teaching post suggests no ambition, and to be honest it offers no more than someone with 8-10 years

19. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

60,000 to 65,000 USD plus free accom (excl any responsibility allowances). That's possible in good schools. Savings potential though is important. I save 3,000 usd per month even after holiday spending, car etc in Korea. Some colleagues save more, and if a couple more that twice that.

20. Barkham1

Barkham1 New commenter

Lack of ambition...hhmmm. Perhaps someone has had significant roles in the past and now wishes to step back. Often such experience is valued. I have worked in a number of faculties where everyone has been at least a HoD in the past,if not senior management. Depends on your time of life and circumstances rather than raw ambition.

topquark likes this.