1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good resources for very low ability pupils

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lucyrs27, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Hello all, was hoping to partake of some collective wisdom. Looking to replace textbooks (with or without supplementary materials) for bottom set Year 9, am looking for something that is pitched at the right level for students who will just about gain a GCSE (some occasionally get a D, otherwise loking at E or F grades). I would like them to be solidly focussed on basic skills but not pitched too ridiculously low either (starting to sound like the holy grail...) They don't have to be aimed at KS3 children necessarily - I am curently using SMP 'G' series booklets which are the best I've found so far.
    Any thoughts? :)
    Thanks

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The best resource I have ever found is the series of Key Maths Special resource books that run through Year 7, Year 8 and Year 9. They are still available.
    The help sheets in the teacher pack are very useful. They cover the right material and I found the pace right for a group very similar to one you describe.

3. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

I like the OUP framework books.
    BTW, in my school the group you describe would not be "very low ability"......but just below average!!

4. I would agree totally about Key Maths. I liked that series of books in general, especially the test yourself sections and the little end of chapter tests.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The mental arithmetic tests were great too. 10 questions with a little answer sheet. I used to use them with a range of groups.

6. i love the OUP framework books too..

7. The SMP G series are good, topped up from the blue for the more able!

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Key Maths doesn't go low enough for the lowest ability students, really. It's awkward, because you know that any resourse that's much good will have been used with them in the past. They've already "done" everything out there.
    Are there any certificate of achievement books available?

No words of wisdom really - I'm not sure such a resource exists.

9. There must be something out there. Possibly not enough money is spent on books at that level?

10. KnightRider

KnightRider New commenter