1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good resources for Ancient Egypt please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Simran58, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Hi,

I am teaching about Ancient Egypt - can anyone recommend any great resources/ books that you have used. i want to make the topic really exciting and the QCA scheme dosn't help. Thanks!

2. Hi,

I am teaching about Ancient Egypt - can anyone recommend any great resources/ books that you have used. i want to make the topic really exciting and the QCA scheme dosn't help. Thanks!

3. I'm halfway through teaching this unit. I found QCA dire! LCP isn;t much better. So to combat it, best thing I have found to do is, just go creatively from what I know about the Egyptians or can find out and create my own scheme of ideas based around key historical skills/ the good old National Curriculum :).

My class have enjoyed watching a BBC Video called the Gift of the Nile (from 1992!!) if you can still manage to get your hands on it anywhere! Literacy world do a couple of materials - Search for Tutenkamun and also a book called - Making the Past into Presents (creative instructions etc how to make a couple things). Curriculum visions do an info book too - Ancient Egypt. Can't remember any other details am afraid as are all in my classroom.

Do you have any local places that do outreach/ loan boxes in your area? Have a google, ask people in school etc. Local to my school we have a place that loans boxes of artefacts which were really good for close up handling sessions.
    We looked at cartouches and hieroglyphics then painted our own hieroglyphics spelling different words and messages out. Began to look at Egyptain numbers and decided we prefer our number system now!

Built our own pyramids etc, models. Independent projects - what do I know, what do I need to find out, let's find out and do it - I provide materials we have in school, they set to work their research and creative genius skills.

Seriously - sit down and do a spider diagram of what you and your class want to cover - what would you want to learn and do if you were a child again. Go back to the national curriculum and use that to plan it. Makes for a more exciting and tailored way of doing things! It's worked for me and my year 3's for sure.

4. I agree with the previous poster. With my year 6 kids I looked at what I wanted them to do that was very hands on!
    Made death masks using Mod Roc -got permisssion from parents first We also used mod roc to make mummified hands and feet.
    Made hieroglyphic necklaces out of clay -painted in bright colours look ace.
    Made coffins and decorated them, then made mummies to put inside
    We are now in the process of turning our classrooms into Egyptian museums. Most children will be responsible for an exhibit and will talk about a specific area. Other children will be tour guides or statues (dressed as Egyptian gods). We are then inviting the parents to come and see what we have been upto.

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

6. I have just looked back on my USB and I still have the MTP and resources/ research that I put together while I was teaching this. I'm really not saying that it's any good as I was a student when I did it but it may give you some ideas if you want to send me your email address.

7. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

The British Museum site is fun - http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/
    Plus, my own Egyptian God lesson can be found here - https://www.tes.co.uk/ResourceDetail.aspx?storyCode=6051022 - graded Good with Outstanding features during my NQT year!
    I'm gutted I dont get to teach it again this year. I have a great outfit! We had an Egyptian day with different activities. The children made "papyrus" with strips of kitchen towel and watered-down PVA glue (stuck onto a plastic sandwich bag which later peels off when the glue dries) onto which they later painted their names in a cartouche and hieroglyphics with black and gold paint (looked amazing!). Then they mummified apples (which didn't really work, sadly), painted sunsets and stuck on silhouettes of the pyramids and palm trees, and finally had an Egyptian food tasting, including exotic fruits, houmous and pitta bread. It was fab!
    Oh, and we used one of the Nebamun tomb paintings (Nebamun hunting in the marshes) as a focus, creating poetry from it, plays, artwork, ICT developing images pictures and other bits. It's also on display at the British Museum, so if you can visit it makes a nice link. If you want plans, pm me your email address.

8. That sounds great thanks. Can you email it to anneka_shah@hotmail.com

Thanks!

9. Thanks so much that sounds fantastic! I want to make the most of this unit! My email address: anneka_shah@hotmail.com

10. What you did with your class sounds fab, I think my class would be very excited by these activities...hands on and fun! Please could you send me your plans? I am on my final teaching practice and want to impress :) imluvinit_22@hotmail.com

Thanks x

11. We mummified banannas which was fun, it was a long term activity though as it took several weeks for the skins to dry out.