1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good Resources for a new VLE?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by nathanielbrown, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I've just setup a new VLE for our school and I am starting to populate it with resources for KS3, KS4 and A Leve. At the moment I am mainly looking at ICT but I will eventually be interested in looking for resources for other subjects as well.
    The main types of resources that I am looking for at the moment are multimedia and interactive resources. I found http://www.teach-ict.com/shop/a2_lectures/a2_lectures_landing.html which was created by one of the teacherson this forum and I know there are a number of resourcesin the resources area.
    Are there any other good areas for buying SCORM units or other "high" quality resources paid or free?
    The geography and science department are both interested in virtual experiments for field studies.

2. Hi,
    I've just setup a new VLE for our school and I am starting to populate it with resources for KS3, KS4 and A Leve. At the moment I am mainly looking at ICT but I will eventually be interested in looking for resources for other subjects as well.
    The main types of resources that I am looking for at the moment are multimedia and interactive resources. I found http://www.teach-ict.com/shop/a2_lectures/a2_lectures_landing.html which was created by one of the teacherson this forum and I know there are a number of resourcesin the resources area.
    Are there any other good areas for buying SCORM units or other "high" quality resources paid or free?
    The geography and science department are both interested in virtual experiments for field studies.

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

For A level a good route is to get the kids to do a trawl of youtube and then keepvid them all and then drop them into the vle. A good idea is to get them to justify why their video is of use to the other students, bit like a room 101 show. I have got loads on our moodle but can't drop them into the resource bank for copyright reasons.
    That link above you mention is my work, I must say that I am very proud of those tutorials.

4. As well as looking at bought in resources and those contributed by others you should look at creating your own in-house resources for the VLE. Then there is no problem with putting up with resources that don't quite fit your needs or cost too much. I always think a bit of ownership does wonders for selling a VLE to staff. Apart from all the wikis, blogging and podcasts that can be investigated it is a doddle to create web based or SCORM compliant learning modules using Xerte which is freely available from Nottingham University.
    http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/xerte/

Don't forget to download the toolkits/templates as this makes it very easy to use. Staff can easily set up a variety of pages and then drag and drop existing text, images, video, hyperlinks etc. into the created pages.