1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

good recruitment agencies in London or around Europe

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by shanona83, Mar 20, 2010.

  1. Can anyone tell me what are good recruitment agencies for finding either long term, permenent or guaranteed supply work in London? Please let me know from your experiences, as I don't want to make the move from Canada to the UK just to find out that my agency isn't as good as they claim. Right now I'm registered with Protocol, but I want to know if there are better options out there.

    I'm also interested in international recruiters (for opportunities in Europe) as well. So if you have experience with a good recruiter let me know!

  2. I think rather than naming agencies it's better to look at some guidelines for choosing the right agency for you. People have good and bad experiences with most agencies - I doubt any are perfect but some are better than others. Agencies have their place and are useful in helping you make the transition over to the UK so it's worth spending a bit of time narrowing down the field and choosing a few to work with before you arrive. My advice would be:
    • Register with 2 or 3 agencies before you leave Canada. If you are checking the forums you will see that some supply teachers are struggling to find work because of the influx of cover supervisors in schools. Hedging your bets and having a few companies looking for teaching work for you is better than sticking to just one company in the current climate.
    • Call around to some of these agencies with offices based in Canada for an informal chat. Don't give them your contact details unless you are certain you want to work with them (you will be bombarded with calls and emails otherwise). Have a list of questions prepared to ask on the phone like - Do you have offices in London? How many? Where in London do you have the most work? What is the rate of pay for daily supply work? How much for a contract position? How much teaching supply work could I realistically get each week? Will I be asked/ expected to work for lower pay as a Cover Supervisor in order to get work? When is the best time to find a longer term position? How will my qualifications work in the UK? Have you taught in the UK yourself? A reputable agency will give you honest information about these things. I would run a mile from any agency saying they are always busy and will be able to get you 5 days a week year round on supply (unless they are prepared to back this up with a guarantee). At present it just doesn't work like that and a good consultant will talk you through the term dates and quiet/busier periods of the year, explain the current market conditions, talk you through the 4 year rule regarding your qualification and talk about the availability of work in your chosen area through their company. Also look for a consultant who has lived and taught in the UK themselves.
    • Be a little careful about Guaranteed Supply. It's not for the fainthearted. You'll often be kept waiting until the morning to find out where you are going and you will be expected to leave the house within 10-15 mins of taking the call with a lot of pressure to magic yourself to the school as quickly as possible. They can send you anywhere and this might genuinely mean a 2 hour journey to a school. You may also be sent to the harder schools that other teachers are turning down. On guaranteed supply as long as the agency offers you a booking they have done their bit...if you turn the booking down because it's too far away or you don't like the school then you don't get paid. If you are resilient, prepared to travel and just need that guarantee of pay then it could work for you but be aware of some of the downsides before signing up to any guaranteed supply scheme.
    • When you have chosen your agencies then stay in regular contact with them, get your paperwork sorted and be efficient. If you want a contract lined up prior to arrival then you want them recommending you to consultants on the UK end so having all your references and paperwork arranged quickly puts you in a better position to be marketed to schools.
    • You only need to do one CRB. Check with each agency that they would be happy to verify your CRB for other agencies or to accept a CRB carried out by another agency and verified by them. Then choose just one agency to do the CRB with and inform the others it is in process and let them know when it comes back.
    • Ask your Canadian consultant to arrange for the UK office to call you so you can have a chat with the person who will actually be finding you work out there. This chat will help you ensure that both your Canadian and UK contacts seem up to par.
    • Don't be shy about letting each agency know you are also working with two others. This will improve the service you receive....they are all in competition with each other so you can use this as leverage to get them working that little bit harder for you.
    • If an agency isn't staying in touch, acknowledging your emails or receipt of your paperwork etc then ditch them and find another one. There's plenty of choice out there and no reason to waste your time.
    Good luck. It's a great adventure although not always easy [​IMG]
  3. thank you for your helpful response!!

  4. I also am a teacher from Canada. I really want to work in Europe or in the UK. But it seems so complex from here... First, I need to know if I will be allowed to work? Is my degree accepted there? I will probably need a visa? How long will it be effective? ... Thanks for any answer, anyone! :)
  5. Anne-Marie, it can seem really quite complicated but once you have the info it's not as overwhelming.

    Will you be allowed to work/is my degree accepted here?

    If you have a degree and are a qualified teacher in Canada, you will be considered a qualified teacher here, as they've just changed the rules to recognise Canadian qualifications. Before, you would have 4 years to work as an unqualified teacher and if you wanted to teach longer you would have to get on a training program here. Now, it's a matter of sending off your paperwork to verify your qualifications and that's it.

    Visa stuff

    There are a few options for Canadians in regards to Visas. Most people go for something called the "Youth Mobility Visa", which is a 2 year visa for Commonwealth citizens under the age of 30, which allows you to work in the UK. If you have a grandparent who was born in the UK, you can apply for the "Ancestry" visa, which is a 5 year visa. If you have a European passport from an EU member country, you don't need any visa at all. If you don't qualify for any of those, it becomes more much difficult (and something I'm much less informed about!)

Share This Page