1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good QCA alternatives?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pocoyo, Apr 23, 2011.

1. I'm spending hours trying to replace the QCA unit activities. But for some of the objectives I'm stuggling to find alternative activities. It would be good to look at a scheme that is a bit more interesting to get some ideas from.

What are the alternatives?

Do they all cover the same objectives? xx

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I've never really used them as I left to have baby1 when they were just coming in, and now I'm back they are going...going...soon to be gone!! What ya plannin' for? I like planning...(strangely!).

3. You like planning?

Would you like to do mine? :0)

I'm planning for Music and Art and Geography. The Music is all about beat and rhythm and pulse. Art is all about viewpoints and taking snapshots of images. Geography is about an Island home and is linked to Katy Morag. The activities are pretty dull but i'm struggling to think of alternatives for the objectives. x

4. Me too - I like planning, especially for Literature.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Planning is infinitely preferable to marking!

I just use my brain with my year team partner's brain and we generally get there. We also have nothing against using the activities in the QCA plans if they are good.

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Snortle.

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Snortle. *adds to internal dictionary* :). I find it easier to plan activities if I have a topic to use as a starting point. If it was me i'd call it 'islands' and go from there. All your art subject matter could come out of there, (was it gaugin who moved to a tropical island?) and steady beat/pulse is in all music somewhere, so you could pick some tunes/songs that come from islands - folk music of uk? Gamelan from Indonesia? Polynesian music? There's a piece called 'fingal's cave' (I can't remember the cOmposer off the top of my head), an impressionist piece that you could use as a starting point for composition? Sea shanties? You could talk about why you need a strong beat (pull on those oars together, me hearties!!). Look at what the main learning objectives are and think about how you want to teach them. helps?