1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good progress is not good enough for 'good'.

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by elainejh, Feb 10, 2012.

1. I have just experienced my 6th Ofsted ( 4th as a head) and be very aware this is as hard as everyone says.Despite 'average standards' from well below, and so many 'good progress from last Ofsted' remarks we have had a horrendous 24hrs proving what was clearly apparent in the data by providing the same information in a variety of ways.70% good or better teaching ( no inadequate) still not enough for 'good'. Satisfactory it is then!

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

This is the same story I'm hearing time and time again. The agenda is clearly political. Even the inspectors I've spoken with have said that they think Wilshsaw is (unprintable) who is making the system even more political. No consolation to you but please don't let it get to you personally. What a stupid system where so much teaching and good progress is not good enough.

3. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Well 11 out of 13 groups making significantly higher progress than expected as evidenced by RAISE; consistenly exceeding FFTD by 10% on all areas except ENg Lv 5 for THREE years running; 40% of Y4 making 10+ APS from end of Y2; 3 children with EBD moving from W to 4 and 3 moving from 1- 5 in E&M from end kS1 to end KS2 isn't enough for outstanding either! It's just good. Actually "really, really good" said the Lead, "but I can't write that in the report. the grade is good"

First time I've ever felt like throwing in the towel!!

4. Thank goodness I'm in Wales.
    Goalposts have changed in 2010 but at least they give each cycle of inspections 6 years.

5. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Well, I've just found a really good quote on an article about Prince Charles of all things. It said

Dont confuse having with being!

I know my staff and school are outstanding and I don't need ofsted to tell me that. I know we change children's lives and in may cases are diverting them from a life of violence and crime.

Ali said

I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want

Now we've got good and will be left alone for 5 years, we're going to concentrate on being free to be what we want to be!

6. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

Elaine, out of interest, what do you mean by average? My school is generally hitting the floor standards within one or two percent? We have low baseline. No consistent groups. Is this not good? Did they look at historical data and future predictions? I hate this......

7. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

In our inspection avearge firstly meant not green (sig+) and not blue (sig-) on Raise on line.
    They weren't interested in future predicitons and wouldn't look at past progress in RAISE as it was CVA and now they only judge VA.
    They went over last years and this years tracking with a fine toothed comb, finding all children who hadn't made what they called expected progress of 2 sublevels per year!! When they found that a signinfcant number hadn't made progress from end of summer term to November last term, they actually mentioned Special Measures (All this with VA of 102!).

8. To be fair to Wilshaw, he didn't write the new framework. It was all done before he was appointed.

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No-one should be in the least surprised that a Tory government has thrown out CVA and is going merely on VA.

10. True, but he was clearly waiting in the wings for some months, and his proclamations since December have been alarming e.g. not satisfactory, but "requires improvement", and to get an outstanding rating "the majority of lessons should be outstanding". Not to mention the 5000 headlines.
    His choice of words at the meeting last week was at times....unfortunate...[​IMG]

11. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

How can this be??? Average progress isn't 2 sublevels per year, it's three over 2 years (ie one level per 2 years)... at least this is what I've always worked on.

How completely depressing.

So, if you have neither blue or green on your current year's RAISE then you are average and therefore satisfactory... hmmmm.

12. amjam

amjam New commenter

I have been told that satisfactory progress is at least 13/14 APS over keystage 2 so moving from level 2b to 4b is no longer acceptable as satisfactory - it is inadequate. And apparently, according to newspaper reports if staff morale is high then you are not diriving the staff hard enough - not sure what has happened to Well Being projects. And today the press tells us that government employees are getting big bonuses for doing their job - whilst we struggle to provide support through lack of funding.

13. Why be fair to Wilshaw?
    he and his cronies are not fair to anyone else. they have no notion of "fair"

14. I have just had a subject inspection - on the first morning after 2 hours we were considered inadequate - after 2 days we were good. It was the worst experience of my life. After years of enjoying teaching and despite feeling that I can still make a difference to peoples lives, I too feel like packing it all in and that's despite getting 'good'. I sympathise with all who go through this ridiculous experience - I wish I could just get on and enjoy teaching once again, but I am beginning to wonder what the point is now.

15. I am using 2011 National Average percentages for KS1 and KS2, The Lead Inspector was sticking rigidly to the new framework and she kept quoting the progress from last inspection as good, but the key element is 'Over time'. She also wanted to see consistency across phases which we don't yet have.

16. Yes they will find the tiniest chink and make it into potential disaster, I was looking at Inadequate L&M if I hadn't been able to demonstrate yet more evidence....The draft report however is far more positive than expected but is written with the expectation of returning in 12 months'In this current academic year.......' i.e we have one and half terms to address the areas for improvement.Not much pressure there!!

17. Lollopy, that is so wrong, no acknowledgement of progress then? Keep on climbing up that greasy pole...