1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

good progress in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by 220706alfie, Jul 11, 2015.

1. I went on a course recently and they said typical progress in a year is moving 3 jumps, e.g. starting at 30-50 months beginning, to 30-50 months within, to 30-50 months secure, to 40-60 months beginning. More than 3 steps is good progress. If they start at 40-60 months beginning and meet the early learning goal I think this would show 3 jumps which is only typical progress. Many of these children are very confident in the early learning goal and show some characteristics of exceeding but not enough for an exceeding judgement. We have a lot of children withing this section, as I'm sure many school do, but is it correct that this isn't good progress?

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm so glad I've retired.

Good luck to you all.

3. Bond231

Bond231 New commenter

I get a little bit confused by the term typical and good (and outstanding progress?). Typical suggests failure when really its what we'd expect a child to do surely?

I'd expect a child typically to enter somewhere in the low 40-60 (so 40-60 emerging) and leave with the ELG. If they've got to exceeding they've made good progress. Unfortunately with EYFS it penalises children who enter high because really exceeding is the ceiling. We've constantly been advised not to start putting children onto levels and now this has been eradicated anyway who knows?

I feel the biggest measure of progress is just looking through their books. Development matters is so washy anyway and hard to tie down (does that child now partake in family traditions for 40-60 people and communities?).

Sorry I realise this doesn't massively help and I've just added to a mini EYFS rant.

Inky - I'm loving your reply!

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I too am confused - and I have a child in Reception who is vibrant, creative and a wonderful communicator, yet this obsession with 'measuring what can be measured' regardless of his age breaks my heart, as the school are now forced by data to treat him as average or 'sub-standard' in everything.

So much so that I have written an open letter to the Secretary of State - if you are very bored indeed, feel free to take a look:

www.andrewjeffrey.co.uk/.../open-letter-to-nicky-morgan-secretary-of-state-for-education