1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good practice?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by clermontfed, Dec 18, 2015.

1. clermontfed

clermontfed Occasional commenter

I work in a small school where the head gives Christmas presents to only some members of staff.
    This sounds really trivial but I believe it is poor practice and rather divisive.
    The presents are for their hard work.
    What do you think?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Bad idea!

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I agree. Keep to a card each and something to eat in the staff room.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Appalling!

If the Head has a personal friend, then a gift unseen by everyone else, given out of school.

Although best not to have friends while you're Head. New to middle or senior leadership? Beware the social pitfalls!

No it isn't. It is favouritism. Makes you wonder how objectively the Pay Policy is carried out.

Best wishes

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I gave personal cards to all staff in my first headship and in my second, the already-established custom (about which I was firmly informed) was to sign a large card to all colleagues and then give a donation to charity.

I didn't give gifts to anyone.

InkyP and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. clermontfed

She has indeed her favourites.

7. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Everybody had a small gift from the HT. If there were additional presents they were given away from everybody. The premises staff did get big gift bags but considering how great they are and how much less than me they probably earn, I don't begrudge it them.

8. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

A very bad idea - HTs should be seen to be consistent.

Like my HT ... nothing. Not a thank you or even a Merry Christmas to the staff.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Brilliant solution to the problem @Middlemarch.
    Everybody wins then. Truly in the 'true spirit of Christmas'.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Bad, bad, bad. You can't do that.

Who would do that?

11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Head teachers having friends :eek:. Surely some mistake, that cannot be allowed.

Sorry only joking :oops:

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Should have been clearer. @les25paul

Sorry!

A Headteacher shouldn't become friends with someone in school, in my view. And most certainly not get into a relationship. It can cause all sorts of hassle and disgruntlement . . .

I can understand that some people might not agree, however.

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

It's something all good HTs have in common.

It's called 'being professional'. It includes NOT playing favourites and NOT getting pally with ANY of the staff. You need to respect your HT. S/he doesn't have to know everything but s/he does have to play with a straight bat!

14. clermontfed

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.
    Giving presents to a selected few is just another no no in a long list of what the HT does in the school: making life impossible for older teachers and replacing them with NQT, bad mouthing members of staff, I could go on.

15. clermontfed

Gosh this is bad!

16. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

As an aside - what do you, or the headteacher do when your friend becomes the headteacher?

17. grumpydogwoman

Ooooh!

D'you know I've never known that to happen. All my HTs have been from outside.

PLUS I don't do 'friends'. Especially at WORK.

BUT you'd have to be super-strict. Both of you. Make it clear to each other that there will be no favours asked or given. Strict compartmentalisation. I know some people are really bad at that though. But anyone who aspires to being HT NEEDS to have that ability. Or learn it as a skill.

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Keep it strictly outside work. No more sitting for lunch together nor even coffee in the staffroom. A Head "belongs" equally to every member of staff and there should be no suggestion that one is in a privileged position.

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

In my last job. Ht gave a wee present to all the teachers. She also gave a gift to each of the class teams usually some tea,coffee and a 'fancy piece'. Teachers gave a small gift to their team of support staff. As teachers we didn't flaunt to the support staff that we had been given an individual gift by the HT. The teaching team got together and gave the HT a bottle of her favourite wine.

20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Multi-quote facility not working but in answer to rouxx' question "As an aside - what do you, or the headteacher do when your friend becomes the headteacher?"
    I've had a couple of colleagues who have moved to becoming Heads, which wasn't a problem. One indeed one in a school where I was working and they were the DH previously. Even one who was a pupil from my probationary year- though that didn't provide a problem as we didn't have a 'friend' relationship just pupil/ teacher background which was the reversed to teacher / pupil in senior position.

Theo's advice is as always spot on.(missing thumbs up icon needed here!)