1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good PowerPoint designs?!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by chris_elevate, Jul 3, 2011.

1. No we all know that we shouldn't have DEATH BY POWERPOINT but...
    I wondered what backgrounds/designs people tend to use to put up prompts & LO's on their smart board.
    I think it's tough to get it right because projectors always struggle to replicate colours well so wondered what sort of designs people used?
    Thanks

2. A basic, very light, plain yellow / cream or blue background should do fine. You're right, some projectors used to have trouble producing "pure" white and had a tendancy to flicker somewhat, but that doesn't seem to be a problem with most modern projectors.

3. I'd also suggest downloading the extra templates available from Microsoft website. Can't remember where exactly but I'm sure you could find them without much trouble. Lots of extra ones and plenty of decent ones amongst them too.

just don't encourage peole to go mad using them more often too......[​IMG]

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I agree with dhicks - plain simple pastel colours otherwise people with visual issues may have problems reading it.

PS Don't use black text either.

5. Dark blue or black background with pale yellow text is one of my favourites - its also the colours of dyslexic keyboards (I think) VI pupils find them useful and indeed the elderly!
    Dont know whether its right or wrong but never had any probs with the above colour scheme.

6. Google Death by Powerpoint for some great examples of how not to do it !
    Be aware that the technology to display an image on screen is different to that in projectors and printers. Hence colour variations.

7. Hey all
    I would suggest not using PowerPoint. I discovered Prezi and will never use another PowerPoint for the rest of my career. It is a free online presentation software, check it out. I was worried at first thinking I didn't have the time to be so creative every lesson, however I can now make them much quicker then PowerPoint within just a few weeks. The students love them, all key stages. Even my year 12's were excited over it. Give it a go