1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good poem for reading out loud (year 8)?

Discussion in 'English' started by PETERPIPER, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm starting a new poetry unit with year 8 next week and wanted to begin with an intro to rhyme and rhythm. My idea is to give them a poem (or some of it) without line breaks and get them to work out where they fall, but I'm stuck on which poem would work well. My current idea is a chunk of Poe's 'The Bells' but I think the language is too hard for year 8 and might put them off. I just need a poem with a strong rhyme (but not couplets as that's too easy!) Any ideas gratefully received!
    Thanks!

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

3. sianna

sianna New commenter

The Highwayman is brilliant and year 8s love it!

4. Great! Thanks to both of you - I'm going to have a look through your suggestions now :)

5. I'm going to go with The Walrus! Loved it - very strong rhythm and not too obvious rhyme. Cheers.

6. That one about the train that was on the advert (I can't remember what it's called!!) is good for a really obvious rhythm.
    Charge of the light brigade - horses' hooves?