1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good Package for Phuket?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by wrldtrvlr123, Nov 4, 2011.

1. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Hi. I wanted to ask for opinions on the cost of living in Phuket. I have been there once for vacation but didn't really make it beyond the beach/pool at the resort.
    How would you rate an offer of 115K baht per month (gross) with a 20k baht per month housing allowance in terms of being able to live reasonably well, do some traveling in the region and still be able to save some cash? OK for a single no dependent? How about double that for a teaching couple?
    Also, how would Phuket be as a place to actually live for a single female or for a family?
    And yes, I have done a search but most of the posts were oldish and not specific to my questions. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice and/or amusing quips.

2. wrldtrvlr123

Hi. I wanted to ask for opinions on the cost of living in Phuket. I have been there once for vacation but didn't really make it beyond the beach/pool at the resort.
    How would you rate an offer of 115K baht per month (gross) with a 20k baht per month housing allowance in terms of being able to live reasonably well, do some traveling in the region and still be able to save some cash? OK for a single no dependent? How about double that for a teaching couple?
    Also, how would Phuket be as a place to actually live for a single female or for a family?
    And yes, I have done a search but most of the posts were oldish and not specific to my questions. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice and/or amusing quips.

3. Hi,
    I lived in Phuket for five weeks, then Bangkok for two years. I didn't really rate Phuket, Bangkok is much better. I am going back next year after PGCE study.
    I am very surprised you are offered 115,000thb per month, the most I have seen over there is 60,000thb. You will be very well off, no need to worry on that score.
    My first impression of Phuket, well Kamala, was I went to the local 7/11, I had totalled the cost of my groceries in Thai baht, when I got to the check out, they charged me double for being a farang!!! I didn't shop there anymore, I went further up the road. I have never been treated like this in Bangkok, however.
    Can I ask you, is this a teaching post? I am assuming so, saying you are on the TES site.
    115,000thb works out around £2,300 per month at 50thb to the pound. Probably,
    Good luck.....Wendy

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Pretty good if it was a teacher salary, OK for middle leadership.
    Thailand is more expensive nowadays than when I was there. Nevertheless, it's good for singles and families. Female singles will be fine, so long as you don't mind all the single males
    I can take a pretty good guess that the school in question is the UK flag flying one at the salary quoted. There will be plenty of competition for the post!

5. wrldtrvlr123

Thank you both for your input. Based on older threads concening Phuket, I was prepared for helpful advice on what to take with me (condoms and lubricant were considered must haves).
    My question was not based on anything as serious as an offer or even a shortlisting (more in line with our formulating a short list of schools/countries/areas to seriously target).
    I suppose my questions should have included a query about the school itself, but I was trying not to be too ambitious and/or tempt the censors. The school in question would most likely hope that their students would fare well at any academic Olympiads. The salary figure is what is given on a usually reliable source for a teacher with my degree/experience.
    We are generally happy in China (well, my wife a little less so) but are seriously trying to decide whether to stay another year or seek greener pastures/new challenges. I would imagine that there will always be competition for more desirable schools/areas but hope springs eternal.

6. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Greetings trvlr,

Firstly that salary is OK, you need to remember, though that you will lose about 20-25% in taxes per month. Also Phuket is incredibly expensive compared even to Bangkok. Whatever the colour of your skin you will be treated as a Farang ( Thai name for all foreigners) which means that prices go through the roof, it is annoying but it happens.

Many years ago Mrs Topliss and I were offered jobs there and the more we dug the less we liked it. You are living on a holiday island but you cannot live as though you are on holiday all the time. Then there is the "tourist" you have the bona fides who go to the Laguna resorts and see the gibbons and sea eagles, I have done this. Then you get the other 70 or 80 percent who are there for sex, male, female *** whatever. I know this happens in Bangkok but there are 12'000'000 people here so it isn't as in your face as it is on the islands. Also when the US fleet is in its like a bacchanal!

Lastly though, a spot of good news. Each year when something goes wrong here, I have been here for a coup, a tsunami an uprising by different coloured shirt people and now a biblical flood, the numbers of applicants g down, therefore if you want to work in an island house of houris then perhaps this is your year!

About the schools I am afraid, I know nothing! Sorry.

Good luck,

Perce the sunbather.