1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good/Outstanding progress in a lesson - help???

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teacherman2, Jan 28, 2012.

1. teacherman2

teacherman2 New commenter

<font size="2">what does this actually mean?

How for example
    could:

To write in paragraphs including appropriate detail.

be
    achieved and children be able to do this within one lesson?

Ta </font>[​IMG]

2. deeley

deeley New commenter

Is that some kind of interview or something?

Or a lesson Obs?

I thought that would be an easy one to show before and after for...
    Maybe just me. :)

3. teacherman2

teacherman2 New commenter

Think I'm just confused lol.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well that would depend on their starting point and the definition of 'appropriate detail'. I have some year 2 children who can already do this and some for whom achieving it in a lesson would be totally impossible.

You just need to show clearly that you know where your children have started from and then show they have made great progress from that point. You also need to show that this is normal practice and that children generally do make this kind of progress in all your lessons.

5. If you can demonstrate at the start of the lesson that they can't do this, then demonstrate that a lot of them can, then I would think that was good progress, and if they can all do it well then that would be excellent.

6. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

I'm sure some do, but take a look at this thread from a few days ago, in particular the very interesting contributions from elizabeth1972.
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/547138.aspx

7. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I'd much rather not have to jump through all those hoops too. But I do what I have to, to keep my headteacher off my back.

8. deeley

deeley New commenter

Very interesting link. Thank you. I may well quote that at work next week

9. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Can I ask how one would prove that a child cannot write in paragraphs with appropriate detail at the start of the lesson, but can at the end? I get the can at the end (just look at the finished work) but if you haven't given them the opportunity to do so previously, how can you say for sure that they couldn't before you taught them to in that lesson?

I find the whole progress thing a lot easier in maths - you put a subtraction up on the board during the input - kids look at it blankly. You teach a method for solving it. Chn go and practice. Come back for plenary - hey presto kids can do it (hopefully). I can't see how this can work so well in literacy where writing is an objective, especially extended writing?
    Perhaps I'm just being thick :S

10. deeley

deeley New commenter

I wouldnt use that leaning objective. I'd make it far more specific eg metaphors similes adjective depending on group.