1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good OTT experiences!

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by weejules, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I can understand that some people have had a horrible time but just wanted to say to any people considering the move that teaching here isn't all bad! I arrived two and half years ago and my London teaching experience has been fantastic. Yes, I had those supply days where I thought never again but it was only a day and I just never went back there, thankfully it only lasted a couple of weeks before I secured a long term position. I have never looked back, I spent two wonderful years in the classroom then obtained a sponsored visa to return for another few years and take up the role of deputy head of the provision.The move here has been the best decision I've ever made both for my personal and professional life.
    Has anyone else out there had a great experience arriving and teaching in the UK?

2. I can understand that some people have had a horrible time but just wanted to say to any people considering the move that teaching here isn't all bad! I arrived two and half years ago and my London teaching experience has been fantastic. Yes, I had those supply days where I thought never again but it was only a day and I just never went back there, thankfully it only lasted a couple of weeks before I secured a long term position. I have never looked back, I spent two wonderful years in the classroom then obtained a sponsored visa to return for another few years and take up the role of deputy head of the provision.The move here has been the best decision I've ever made both for my personal and professional life.
    Has anyone else out there had a great experience arriving and teaching in the UK?

3. we are doing not good at all-CANT get a permanent position even with QTS-no good and we fear no money for weeks on end this summer plus we are a family of 4!! We are in the home counties as we cant afford London maybe thats the problem? I am glad u are doing well we did before in 2007 but went back to australia-bad mistake famiy shunned us -felt wanted to come back now no work---help!!.......

4. I'm with you weejules, I moved here nearly four years ago, did some long term contracts then got a permanent appointment in a subject with very few jobs, after twelve months took up the role of Head of Dept. Have just been offered and accepted a new job in the Middle East for September that I am very excited about, my UK experience and my Aus experience made me an excellent candidate for the position. I have nothing but good things to say about my UK teaching experiences.

5. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

Same!!! Did some supply teaching for a few months while i was going back and forth to the Netherlands which is where my partner lives.

Have now secured a perm post at a school in the Netherlands and I would have to say it was because of all the suply work I did in the UK!!!!

6. well done everyone! so there is still hope then......