1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good or outstanding Maths lesson according to the new Ofsted criteria

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by MathsHOD, Mar 27, 2012.

1. I was chatting with a colleague today about the OFSTED 'ideal' lesson and we came to the conclusion that, if you taught what OFSTED seem to be describing as necessary to be outstanding lessons every day, then your students would probably not end up with outstanding results in the end!
    There seems to be little acceptance with the powers that be that consolidation is usually necessary to gain fluency.
    When I was learning to drive the car I managed a hill start without rolling back one day. Did that mean that this skill was 'sorted' - I guess not because the following day I rolled back. It was through much practising that it became 'second nature' (with a failed test during which I rolled back on a hill start too!)
    Surely it is use of (and selection of) skills becoming 'second nature' that we aspire for our students.
    Part of the art of a good teacher is knowing when practice has gone from being useful (building to it being 2nd nature) to wasted time (once it's already secure!).

2. I have said this to work people for years and refuse to screw my kids education for 20 minutes of ego stroking.
    Its nothing but a freak show aimed at the weak and easily led.

3. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

Given that pupils making giant bounds of progress appears to be a requirement surely if every lesson was outstanding the pupils would be able to pass their GCSEs in year 8 and we could then kick back and chill for the next 3 years.
    That's if we all hadn't burnt out or gone on homocidal rampages screaming gibberish about WALT by then

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Which is one reason why the whole thing is clearly a farce.. Every child making "outstanding" progress, Every lesson?.

That sort of nonsense might fool, well, anyone who hasn't done GCSE maths, but it shouldn't fool us nor the people we work for, should it?

Yet everyone shrugs and says "it's just a hoop you have to jump through..".

When are we going to stand up and say "No More!"?

5. I have.
    I know I bring enough to a school to provide data on moving kids on for years on end, cohort after cohort. If I get a poor observation it will have no long term consequences for me individually.
    I will happily pick my bags up, take my data and track record with me, and get employment elsewhere.

6. But there is nothing in the new Ofsted Evaluation that says anything like that. I am not a fan of Ofsted but the new framework looks at progress over time and does not have any criteria for an Outstanding stand alone lesson

7. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I agree that Ofsted talks about progress over time but how does this translate to judgements about progress in individual lessons?
    Progress against learning objectives above expectation for ability seems to be something that is being mentioned a lot.

8. I understand that there will be no individual lesson judgements

The expert that came in and spoke to us recently talked about T&L only being an overall judgement