1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good or Outstanding as Opposed to Satisfactory

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by AJArmstron, Feb 16, 2012.

1. I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas for when planning a maths lesson as to how it would be more likely to achieve a good or outstanding lesson rating as opposed to satisfactory.

Thank you for any comments.

2. I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas for when planning a maths lesson as to how it would be more likely to achieve a good or outstanding lesson rating as opposed to satisfactory.

Thank you for any comments.

3. DBizzle

DBizzle New commenter

mini whiteboards,

observers love that ****

4. DM

DM New commenter

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

leave plenty of time for the plenary and make sure that it shows that pupils have learnt something and made progress.
    AFL AFL AFL AFL
    pupils actively using a learning wall

6. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Pupils need to :demonstrate LOTS of progress against the learning objectives
    be actively involved in the learning
    should be stretched to progress and think independently
    demonstrate peer learning
    AfL
    effective plenary/mini plenaries.

7. September

September New commenter

Differentiation is also key. Planned differentiation by task not outcome.

8. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

And already we are building up a picture of needing about three hours to fit it all in!

9. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

How many different tasks? ! for each of the 32 kids? How are you going to decide who does what?
    Do you terach mixed abilty or setted groups.
    Yes ofcourse your right we have to think about differentiation but in reality is this possible every lesson?
    Thank God for no notice inspections. What i do day in day out may or may not be outstanding but the idea that we suddenly do all these things just cos we are being observed when everyone knows we couldnt possibly do then all the time is ludicrous.
    Have clear expectations of what you want the children to learn (with some differentiation often by outcome or level of support).
    Regularly mini plenaries to check progress / understanding.
    Review of previous learning and link to future.
    Kids on task the majority of the time.
    If thats not good enough then tough.

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If all this is true, then I despair! IMO, a lesson which students enjoy, participate actively and enthusiastically and make clear progress with their learning has to be rated at least good. Observation should not be a box-ticking excercise.

11. I totally agree! Well said!