1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Good News

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by saluki, Jun 19, 2019.

1. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I've just had the best news that I've had since giving up teaching!
    The person who hounded me out - made my life a misery, nothing I ever did was good enough, criticized my emails, rude, arrogant, never backed me up with students, ….
    Has been made redundant!! Oh happy day.
    The person was not a teacher, they were a pen pusher. This didn't stop them from interviewing teachers, observing lessons and disciplining teachers. (They didn't even have A levels let alone higher education or PGCE)
    The amount of teachers that they got rid of was unbelievable. One lady because she was in her fifties - they just didn't like her and said she had failed her probation. One man they overloaded with classes and then said if he didn't get his trackers up to date he would have a disciplinary. He pointed out he didn't have one free lesson at all in which to do prep and admin. He was covering for loads of sick and disappeared teachers. That was irrelevant. Lots went because their face didn't fit. 'My way or the highway' Only the creeps survived. It didn't matter if the creeps were useless as long as they toed the line.
    I'm in a really good place at the moment. Leaving teaching was for the best. But at the time I was being hounded out no-one cared about my personal circumstances or if I would be affected by lack of income.
    However, this news has made my day.

Laphroig, steely1, 1970devon and 18 others like this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Congratulations! Raise a glass to karma!

The HT who made me redundant, then went on to head an Academy, also got the push after poor exam results and an OfSTED. I cheered!

PS he went on to train as a Vicar... No wonder organised religion is declining... :D

3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Ooo, justice is sweet! Especially as redundancy payments are so small.
    Shocking that the person was not a teacher. I'm surprised the unions were not on to that one or did no one ask for their involvement?

4. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

I agree with Bedlam3. How could such a situation arise?

pepper5 likes this.
  5. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

Forgot to add, however, that I'm glad you got your karma saluki.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

What is it about being an utter sh!te, and being in, or going on to, religious life? Repentance? Wish to make amends? The opportunity to prey a larger number of people?

I have known two people like this is my teaching career. One was a nun, who did pastoral care in a Catholic school, who looked like Mother Teresa but could have said of herself:

“Why, I can smile and murder whiles I smile,
    And cry 'content' to that which grieves my heart,
    And wet my cheeks with artificial tears,
    And frame my face for all occasions”

The other was an Executive Head at my last school, who was responsible for so many 'disappearances', that he was called 'Pinochet' behind his back. He is now a Catholic priest!

@saluki : Result!!!!:)

7. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I’m reminded of the joke about the clergyman who had three sons, two of whom became vicars. On a cold morning, they all went down to breakfast, with the atheist arriving late. By the time he got there, his brothers were hogging the space by the fireplace.

“I had a dream about Hell last night,” he announced.

“Oh yes, said his father,” hopeful that his son was getting religious. “What was it like?”

“Just like this place - you can’t get near the fire because of all the priests...”

8. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

What a lovely case of schadenfreude! Hope that you continue to get good news!

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

There are those who would consider your response churlish and unprofessional. NOT ME! I think it's a brilliant result, back of the net!!

10. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

it sounds very much like my old school. Good Riddance to bad blood. Karma Baby

ATfan, Teacher_abc123 and pepper5 like this.
  11. ms honey

ms honey New commenter

Always heartwarming to hear tales like this, shame not everyone gets exactly what they deserve

12. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

sounds like an international school? surely not a uk school?

13. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I have been made redundant three times, and each one led to better things. Plus a nice improvement to my bank balance! But I don't blame you for feeling like this - I did in similar circumstances.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

It also depends on whether your school just wanted to get rid of you, or you had a 'Van Helsing' management, which wanted drive a stake through the heart of your future career prospects.

pepper5 likes this.
  15. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

It was a UK FE college.
    Let's call the person a blahblah manager who was appointed by SLT in order to improve results and performance. Blahblah manager automatically became a member of SLT and had autonomy over department heads and department staff.
    Blahblah manager took their duties very seriously. Could we say that power went to their head? Or be kind and say that they were inexperienced?
    One particular memory is of a student who had joined the course late and bent over backwards to produce all of their coursework to a GCSE Grade B. Blahblah manager decided that instead of using the Grade B coursework we would carry forward the previous year's Grade D coursework. I begged I tried to explain that the student was more likely to get a C grade if we used the higher grade coursework. Blahblah refused. I explained how hard the student had worked. Blahbblah replied "I'm not interested in their work ethic I'm interested in the cost" (???) I went home and cried. I went in the next day and absolutely begged to submit the B coursework. I demeaned myself. Blahblah decided it could be done after all.
    Anyway, the student passed. Results and performance didn't improve under blahblah's management. Blahblah is no longer earning over 45k a year and I'm happy.

Piranha, pepper5 and lynneseptember like this.
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've mentioned it before but the HT who's antics led me to resign had been booted out of their previous headship before applying to our school. A few months back I had a day's work in the school that had booted them out, and they didn't sack me. That was enough to make smile for a long time afterwards.